Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recycling acid from MNT
Turner
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 12:01
Recycling acid from MNT

Hi,

I have synthesized MNT approx. 50ml, (a milky, oily substance). I have around 100 ml of left over acids which are yellow, the acid has separated from the MNT, how can the old acids be recycled? I wouldn't imagine there to be any nitric acid, but is this sulfuric acid leftover pure enough to be boiled back down to 98% and reused?
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 16:41

This was similar to something talked about previously. Here is one theoretical account of the acid accounting.(http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29&...)

According to that account, it looks like there is about 0.05 moles of excess nitric acid still there, so you'd have to boil off the nitric acid first and be sure no MNT is present so you aren't trying to boil MNT.

This post mentions also about distilling the spent acids (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29&...)
Pard
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 17:53

I'm sure it is possible. In the commercial manufacturing process they recycle I do believe I read. I will try find the relevant pdf for you.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 18:09

I'm guessing this post was step one of his attempt at TNT recently described. If that's the case, then those links I gave should be directly relevant to use the trinitration acid for the di- and mono- nitrations. It would be nice to read a commercial document on it though (if you're not cheating you're not trying), assuming they aren't using SO3 to scavenge water.

Go To Top