Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas volume output VS temperature ?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 12:17
Gas volume output VS temperature ?

This could be interesting for both propellants or explosives since both's performance is dependent on it, especially propellants.

Both high gas volume output and high temperature could contribute to higher Isp or VoD, but what shall i choose ? Is there any margin between for best ?

For propellants, good examples would be AP and AN, NH4ClO4 and NH4NO3 respectively.

Although not sure to exact details, i remember

NH4ClO4 could give around 790 L of gas per KG and NH4NO3 aroun 1000 L of gas per KG.

However NH4ClO4 is much more exothermic, which is why it beats NH4NO3 in performances. However is it possible to say, a 1:1 APAN mixture might have a higher Isp than AP alone ?

Since AN's byproduct is N2, H2O is expands more easily at higher temperature than some of AP's by products such as HCl. So that AN's gas used some of AP's heat to expand rather than the HCl wasting this energy ?

Or can any one just suggest me a program for different gas expansion at different temp so i can work it out my self.

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 14:06

PROPEP is usually used to analyse rocket propellants. You feed in the reactants, their proportions, and the combustion chamber pressure, and it works out Isp, temperatures and combustion products (based on equilibrium reactions).

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 03:58

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
PROPEP is usually used to analyse rocket propellants. You feed in the reactants, their proportions, and the combustion chamber pressure, and it works out Isp, temperatures and combustion products (based on equilibrium reactions).

There are many compounds i want to calculate that is not in the program. or i have to add to the script, but idk how to do that since i never studied programming

Go To Top