Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: vacuum odds&ends?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 23:20
vacuum odds&ends?

after a few goes with the built in search tool I'm stumped and Laboy isn't helping much. But I have a few questions for the technicians here & anyone else who can help. On Laboy's,or for that matter most brands, 2 part Cow distillation adapters; what is the sane max size of flask that can be used with a 24/40 joint size? I know the 50mL flasks will work but anything else I don't know for sure. Now I know of a few ways I can make a vacuum( Aspirator, hvac pump, teflon diaphragm, fridge compressor,etc) but does anyone have/ know of some files that deal more with setting up vacuum station & such? I thank you for your time and I appreciate the help.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 07:15

On many cows, there is a limit as to the size of flask as the necks are not angled far apart. But it depends also on if the flasks have a long neck or not. If you have longer necked flasks, you can likely go much bigger flasks, likely up to 250 ml or bigger.

I have never seen any basic info on making a vacuum station, but having one (or more) traps is best, if using an aspirator, they make a trap bottle with a inlet on the side-bottom that you can hook straight to the aspirator, then the top is where you hook your tubing to the filter flask or such, so that if water is ever sucked back into the trap, it gets sucked back out easily. Google "aspirator bottle" to find them. If you use one of those and then normal trap bottle, there is almost no chance of water suck back from an aspirator.

http://www.cardinal.com/us/en/distributedproducts/ASP/B7580-...

Go To Top