Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mogroside 5 nonadecanitrate
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 23:52
Mogroside 5 nonadecanitrate

Hello

I had a small sample of mogroside 5 (it was supposed to be 95% pure, the rest being other mogrosides) that I nitrated, which should yield, if i do my counting right and synthesis correctly, mogroside 5 nonadecanitrate.

1 gram of this material was nitrated with what seemed like an excessive amount of NH4NO3, but with 19 OH's to be nitrated, it should have been the correct amount.

It generated LOTS of heat, more than anything else I've nitrated- so I got it outside and let it sit in a snowbank. It was covered, of course, and it melted itself down almost a foot into the snow. However, no telltale red gas was emitted, so it did not runaway.

After two and a half hours there was a clumpy mass of crystals on the bottom of the solution. I poured in a large amount of ice water to quench the reaction.

Immediately however, my crystals were gone and the solution was bubbling like crazy.

I recovered only a few milligrams of material, far to little to characterize this new compound.

I got the idea after I was looking at a packet of Nuctresse and saw that it contained erythritol, dextrose and monk fruit extract (the mongrosides from it). I was given a sample packet by a Chinese company and I planned on buying more and more fully characterizing the nitrate of this molecule.

I'm not sure if it's worth it, however. I don't want to waste money if it's going to break down when I add water.

Any suggestions? I have no more material but I may give it another go later.

I didn't do the math, but the oxygen balance should be pretty good (I'm guessing that it'd be around -100 right?). It's interesting for such a huge molecule. It would be interesting to see what sort of crystals it would form.

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by Trotsky]

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by Trotsky]
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 22:40

It is such a large molecule.
Addition of water in strongly acidic condition most likely caused hydrolisis into smaller inositol type molecules (simpler polyols)

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 01:40

How should I extract it then? Would adding Sodium carbonate anhydrous or sodium bicarb directly to the nitration bath perhaps be a better idea?

I don't have a good way to filter it without neutralizing it first. I suppose pour it over a fine screen, but i'm sure i'll lose some that way, and I'd like to optimize my yields as much as I can, mostly for the cost of the precursor. I doubt I'll get another free sample.

Based on it's large size and potentially ridiculous number of nitrate esters I'm working from the assumption that it'll be very shock and friction sensitive and liable to degrade over time, probably regardless of neutralization. If I can get good density it might even have a decent VOD. It's nothing more than a novelty, but it'll be interesting to characterize it.

I know there was someone here who posted software for estimating VOD. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get it to work. Can anyone try entering the info for this molecule and post what you get? When I try to open it it freezes on my computer. It's running ChemDraw just fine, though, just this one program.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 03:16

Just a quick one: Wouldn't use Sodium bicarbonate as it creates water (which I know you have troubles with).

Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 06:36

Cellulose/starch nitrate have lots of nitrates. Their performance isn't extraordinary.
The structure of mongrosides looks prone to hydrolysis.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 02:00

That's true, but they're polymers. This is far more interesting. Better VOD, sensitivity or power? I dunno, that wasn't exactly the point though. It was, or rather, it is, to see what the properties of fully nitrated mogrosides would be. It's too expensive to have any practical uses as far as I can tell.

I have a feeling it'll be impact and friction sensitive, however, which NC and NS really aren't.

Go To Top