Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Less Common Peroxides
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 03:50
Less Common Peroxides

I realize that making my first* post about organic peroxides will cause many to doubt my intelligence, but please, bear with me.

Organic peroxides form in many solvents unintentionally, but I haven't seen much written on the peroxides that are actually formed. I have experimented with some uncommon organic peroxides, such as dicyclohexanone peroxide, which seem much less powerful than TATP but also far less sensitive. It could be detonated with a strong blow with a hammer, but it simply deflagrated when burned unconfined.

I was interested in making the peroxide of propylene glycol, which I think takes the form of 3,7-dimethyl-1,2,5,6-tetraoxocane.

I attempted the reaction following the same method I'd use if I were going to make TATP, substituting propylene glycol for acetone, and upon addition of the acid, there was no heating, which I took as a bad sign, and after 48 hours there was no evidence of anything having taken place. I used HCl, would H2SO4 perhaps be a better catalyst for this reaction? I don't really think the acid is the problem, I'm just not sure why it didn't work.

I would assume, given the fairly close similarity to the dimer form of TATP that it wouldn't be water soluble and if it formed, it'd drop out of solution.

I'm not a middle schooler making these sorts of things because they're the only thing available. I'm not going to pretend that I'm interested in the chemistry, either, it's pretty boring, but I was surprised by the lack of research on other organic peroxides, so I decided to try experimenting with them.

A few months ago I tried making sodium peracetate, but I started with too diluate of acetic acid, I think, and it was a failure. I didn't realize that peracetic acid was used in disinfection, but I see there's a product called Tsunami which contains it (it can't be at too high of levels or it'd be explosive).

Trotsky
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:45

It is not possible to make organic peroxides from alcohols by this method. When I read the second sentence of your post I thought that you were trying to make something like diethyl ether peroxide or such.

Rest In Pieces!
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 03:39

I'll be honest, DEP is one that I have considered making, but haven't.

Described by wikipedia as an oily liquid, extremely brisant and friction sensitive.

Makes it sound like MEKP. I didn't find MEKP to be all that friction sensitive, though. Actually, I've not found any organic peroxide to be all that friction sensitive. Impact sensitive, sure, absolutely, but not particularly friction sensitive. Those are small molecules though- a polymer formed by crazy sensitive peroxide bonds?

DEP sounds interesting enough. I wonder what the detonation velocity is. Given the way it forms long chains, I would expect it to be higher than TATP and MEKP.

Wikipedia also says that amounts of as little as 5mg can damage lab equipment? wow... That would seem to indicate exceptionally high brisance, no? 5mg of TATP won't put a hole in tin foil it's detonated on.

If it's actually more like MEKP in terms of sensitivity and not like NI3, it could be interesting. None of these things have any real use, of course, but I could see mixing it with AN as a cheap detonator. I see people on here blending TATP with AN as a detonator. That seems like an awful idea, it sure as hell better be done wet! Anyway I really need to sleep.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 07:48

Quote: Originally posted by Trotsky  
Wikipedia also says that amounts of as little as 5mg can damage lab equipment? wow... That would seem to indicate exceptionally high brisance, no? 5mg of TATP won't put a hole in tin foil it's detonated on.

I think that 5mg TATP is also enough to damage lab equipment. But it depends - what kind of equipment? Boiling test tube? Thick-wall test tube? Wikipedia is very non-specific here.

Rest In Pieces!
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 13:26

I don't think so, I detonated 10mg of TATP on a piece of tin-foil in my imagination and it didn't even put a hole in it.

Perhaps if it was confined between two pieces of glass, that could probably do it.

Yeah, that is a bit meaningless. I can't find anyone who has made it- only people who've tried not to accidentally made it.

Go To Top