Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of sodium monothioarsenate
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 13:09
Synthesis of sodium monothioarsenate

Recently upon reading on lambdasyn.org, I noticed a synthesis for sodium monothioarsenate, which looked rather simple. Seeing as this forum doesn't have any real photos of syntheses involving arsenic (probably a good thing) I decided to do a scaled down synthesis of this compound to show a little bit of As chemistry.

It goes without saying that arsenic compounds are very toxic and one must be extremely careful to not contaminate the work area or air. Repeating this synthesis is not encouraged at all unless you have the experience and ability to perform this safely and dispose of everything appropriately.

The synthesis on lambdasyn (http://lambdasyn.org/synfiles/natriumthioarsenat.htm) was originally derived from Brauer, I have attached the synthesis from the PDF version available in the SciMad library.

procedure.png - 29kB

The process in itself is very simple. I scaled it down to 1/10 of the original preparation.

2g of As2O3 were weighed out, this is an extremely fine free-flowing powder that is very "staticky" and adheres to everything. To this was added 25 ml of distilled water. Notice how the powder is somewhat hydrophobic and does not mix well with water.
photo 1.JPG - 80kB photo 2.JPG - 76kB

To this was added 2.4g of NaOH, and magnetic stirring started. The As2O3 went into solution quite quickly as it is soluble in alkaline conditions. Once this was done, 0.65g of sulfur powder was added and a reflux condenser attached. Brought to a boil with stirring the sulfur very slowly dissolved into solution. This took about an hour despite Brauer stating to reflux only 30 minutes.
photo 3.JPG - 76kB photo 4.JPG - 98kB

Finally a pale yellow solution was obtained. This was hot filtered and placed into a storage vial overnight.

photo 5.JPG - 68kB photo 6.JPG - 86kB

Now, Brauer says to evaporate the solution on a steam bath... I didn't like the idea of doing that and opted to crash out the product with 12ml of chilled ethanol instead. Immediately after adding the ethanol to the yellow solution a white crystalline precipitate materialized. This was vacuum filtered and the resulting compound can be seen in the filter. It is currently drying in a vacuum desiccator so I will have to post the final yield later on. I am not dealing with a large quantity and so I won't be recrystallizing this just to avoid messing around with As more than necessary. Purity is not a major concern as I won't be using this for experiments, disposal is a pain and it's an all-around dangerous material.

photo 7.JPG - 76kB photo 8.JPG - 67kB

I will just keep it as is as a curiosity. :) And now I am done experimenting with As... Its simply too stressful and uncomfortable. Not to mention the planning that goes into making sure not one mistake is made etc.

*EDIT* the final dried yield is 4.07g

image.jpg - 70kB

[Edited on 30-1-2013 by Mailinmypocket]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 13:41

"2g of As2O3 were weighed out, this is an extremely fine free-flowing powder that is very "staticky" and adheres to everything. To this was added 25 ml of distilled water. Notice how the powder is somewhat hydrophobic and does not mix well with water."

Luvvlyjubly: poisonous, stick to everything and isn't wetted easily. I thing I might pass.

Well done ethough...

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 16:54

Now I have to review the capitalization conventions for technical German. Aside from normal poison precautions was there anything specific for thioarsenates? Like not using nitrile gloves?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Now I have to review the capitalization conventions for technical German. Aside from normal poison precautions was there anything specific for thioarsenates? Like not using nitrile gloves?

I only had nitrile gloves during the weighing of the reagents, during the filtration and drying steps, as well as wrapping up the waste and washing the glassware. I didnt research the specific hazards associated to skin contact with thioarsenates though...

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:45
It seems unstable...

Upon looking for a reagent I noticed that this chemical seems to be unstable. It has went from being pure white to yellow... I'm having a bit of a hard time finding information about this compounds' stability though. I'm assuming that the yellow is elemental sulfur. More reading is in order!

image.jpg - 73kB
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 18:30

Nice preparation.

Have you thought of trying it with antimony oxide or natural arsenic and antimony sulphides?

Many years ago I tried a similar reaction with antimony sulphide (natural stibnite but antimony sulphide is available from various ebay suppliers) and orpiment (natural As2S3), sulphur and either sodium hydroxide or sodium sulphide. The tri sodium tetrathioantimonate (schlipp's salt) is particularly impressive because is crystallises easily into large yellow tetrahedrons and is much less toxic. The arsenic analogue is white.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 21:18

It seems similar to the reaction of sulfur dioxide with sodium hydroxide and sulfur. First sulfite is formed, and then the solution of sodium sulfite is able to dissolve elemental sulfur to form thiosulfate.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 06:55

I have been looking through my collection of bottles of things I prepared in the past and found a jar of schlipps salt (about 35-40g), the preparation date on the label has almost faded away but you can still read "mar 1974" the pale yellow crystals have turned brownish on the outside but are still yellow inside. I'll have to recrystallise it sometime. I also found the sodium (tetra) thioarsenate, its still fresh, white, crystalline solid and the prep date on the label is aug 1976! so its pretty stable.

I can't find my notes from that for back but the basic idea for the preparations came from an old inorganic chemistry book. I do remember that the preparation of schlipps salt seemed very wasteful because much of the antimony ended up in an insoluble sodium antimonate. I attempted to reduce this loss by using sodium sulphide instead of sodium hydroxide with some success.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 20:01

I will maybe try with antimony since I have a lot of elemental Sb kicking around. I would like to know for sure what is going on with the (mono)thioarsenate salt though. Being a smart guy(lol) I smelled the compound carefully and it has a distinctive strong sulfurous smell, which probably means hydrogen sulfide or sulfur...

Either way I'm not getting into this until I have time to, but neat nonetheless. All it said in Brauer was that the salt was efflorescent, but no mention of instability. Wishing tomorrow was a day off to really delve into this, dissolve some in water and run some tests :(

Go To Top