Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Molar Mass from BP Elevation
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 14:52
Molar Mass from BP Elevation

I have recently decided to carry out an experiment in The Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Bruce Thompson, specifically lab 8:1.

Quick question - how does one determine the molar mass of a compound if you know its molality in solution, its measured boiling point and the boiling point of pure solvent?

For example, if I had 100ml of a solution of NaCl of 6M/kg, knew its boiling point and also knew the boiling point of pure water, how would I get to it's known Mr (58.44g/mol) or near about using a calculation?

Thanks
-Hexavalent

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 15:24

By god, first hit on Google after search phrase "molar mass boiling point", Determining Molar Mass From Boiling Point Elevation

Think you need a intricate glassware instrument for this, saw one at the university when I worked there, but it was useless w/out its short range ultra accurate thermometers.

The one I saw was similar as the last picture on this page, atleast IIRC the way it worked was precisely the same.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Go To Top