Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium salt of ESA (Solubility)
MeSynth
Hazard to Others

Mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZltqlVuDIo

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 14:25
Sodium salt of ESA (Solubility)

SES - the sodium salt of ethyl sulfuric acid
ESA - ethyl sulfuric acid

^^^^^EDIT^^^^^

I have searched the internet for info about the solubility of SES but all I have been able to find is that it is soluble in water and methanol. I want to know if it's soluble in ethanol and haven't been able to get myself to make any without knowing before hand. The idea is to synthesize it from ethanol and sodium bisulfite made ethyl sulfuric acid. The ESA is then diluted slightly to allow for filtering from the precipitated sodium sulfate. I want to think that I can simply add sodium carbonate that has been powdered very fine and dryed in a stove very slowly to the ethyl sulfuric acid / ethanol solution with stirring. I know this will produce the sodium salt but I cannot find any info on how to extract it from the sodium carbonate that I am sure will be contaminating it.

Sodium carbonate is insoluble in ethanol but is SES soluble in ethanol?

What happens when the sodium carbonate reacts with the ESA? I'm assuming that the sodium salt will precipitate or go into solution with the excess ethanol depending on wether or not it is soluble in ethanol.

Finally I fear that the sodium carbonate will not react with the ESA because it is insoluble in ethanol. No infomation can be found on its solubility in ESA.

One idea I had is to add 1 parts (by volume) absolute ethanol to 1 part ESA into a tall beaker. Hook up a mechanical stirrer. It should be stirred as fast as possible without plashing to ensure the particals of sodium carbonate gets swashed around. As long as the SES formed is soluble in ethanol there should be no build up of precipitate and the solution should stay clear as long as there is ESA still present. As soon as the sodium carbonate stops being eaten stirring should remain for a couple of hours to ensure all ESA has reacted and then the solution can be filtered and the ethanol distilled away hopfully leaving behind some high purity SES. (contaminated with a little sodium carbonate that can be removed by recrystalization?)

Thats the idea and it should work right? as long as the SES is soluble in ethanol?

[Edited on 30-7-2011 by MeSynth]
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 15:50

You might want to start by defining your abbreviations/acronyms. Sure, I can work it out, but its a hassle other members might not bother with.
MeSynth
Hazard to Others

Mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZltqlVuDIo

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
You might want to start by defining your abbreviations/acronyms. Sure, I can work it out, but its a hassle other members might not bother with.

SES - the sodium salt of ethyl sulfuric acid
ESA - ethyl sulfuric acid

Go To Top