Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NADPH oxidase.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 13:04
NADPH oxidase.

Hello everyone!

Upon reading articles about oxygen, reactive oxygen species and the enzymes used to make and dismantle them, I came across an article on NADPH oxidase. This enzyme catalyzes the formation of superoxide anions from molecular oxygen and electrons from NADPH. Superoxide is very dangerous to cells, damages DNA, and destroys enzymes. This is why phagocytes use this anion to kill invading pathogens. Thankfully, there is another enzyme, SOD, or SuperOxide Dismutase that catalyzes the formation of oxygen or hydrogen peroxide from superoxide anions. The hydrogen peroxide is further dismantled into oxygen and water by the action of yet another enzyme.

This got me thinking, is it possible to mimic nature and make hydrogen peroxide with this process? Except that we replace NADPH as a source of energy with a power source that would feed electrons right into NADPH oxidase enzymes. Going one step further, is there an artificial material that could replace NADPH oxidase? The SOD enzyme would then finish the job and make H2O2 from O2'- anions and hydrogen cations.
BTW, I am not planning on trying this at all.

What do you guys think?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 14:43

Making H2O2 with NADPH oxidase is possible. It is never going to be an economically competitive way of doing it though. Enzymes are relatively expensive to manufacture and usually don't last very long in a high-H2O2 environment. Why would you want to do it this way?

'feeding electrons right into NADPH oxidase enzymes'. I doubt it. Maybe, if the enzyme is FAD-dependent you could re-oxidise the FAD in an electrochemical cell.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer

Go To Top