Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Producing magnesium from baser metals
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 03:40
Producing magnesium from baser metals

Is there any way to produce magnesium from baser metals? I know the Chinese use silicon with MgO, but are there any other metals that can work in this way?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 05:01

Is this a theoretical or a preparative question?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 06:03

MgO is used to make heat resistant lab apparatus and has a m.p. of of 2852C and b.p. of around 3600C.

Barring any other suggestions, here is a cool experiment that may work at much lower temperatures and lower electrical power (?) than the common electrolysis route. Heat MgO in a closed system with H2. The vessel also has two electrodes allowing an electric arc to pass into the hydrogen gas (search references for more details on the electrical equipment needed to create atomic hydrogen, which I will refer to as H). The other end of the vessel is cooled and allows for capture of condensed water vapor.

Heat the MgO to below the thermal decomposition of MgH2, Magnesium Hydride, which is just 280C.

Upon reacting with atomic hydrogen (a speculation), or the recombining heat generating a reaction between H2 and MgO:

MgO + 2 H ---> H2O + Mg

Or Upon, H + H ---> H2 + Heat

MgO + H2 + Heat --> H2O + Mg

And, a side reaction:

Mg + 2 H ---> MgH2

Any MgH2 formed will be a colorless tetragonal powder, which can be subsequently decomposed above 280C to yield Mg.

Downside, if large amounts of electrical energy are still required, then no reason to not convert the MgO with HCl to MgCl2 and perform the conventional electrolysis to obtain Mg.

Other options, in place of atomic hydrogen try activated forms (including recent research) of C, Si or S with heat. This is not so much chemistry as cost accounting as you are trading off yield of Mg versus cost of production.

Good luck.

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by AJKOER]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 07:10

So let me see;

hot presssure vessel, high tension current striking an electric arc inside it.

Not exactly one to knock up over the weekend on the off chance it might work using bits from Carrefour, Walmart, B&Q or other fine emporia that supply most Mad Scientists. :D
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 08:15

Actually, my red hair friend, John Reynolds, whipped up the electric stuff in his father's basement long ago and I made the H2 from NaOH + Al, so we could make the Atomic Hydrogen. John may have been helped by his dad as you see, we were both in 8th Grade in the Livorno American High School, Pisa, Italy (John's father was US military and my dad was working with the UN).

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by AJKOER]
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 08:52

Quote:
...using bits from Carrefour, Walmart, B&Q or other fine emporia that supply most Mad Scientists.

Walmart is a 2-star resort for resourceful folks. Mrs. Tanker smirks and shakes her head when I stop and observe something with intent. She knows that look in my eye... :D

Even magnesium can be procured at wally world. It takes the 'fun' out of making it, though. :P

Tank

Go To Top