Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neodymium ? sulphate
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

sad.gif posted on 30-4-2011 at 10:10
Neodymium ? sulphate

I have prepared Neodymium sulphate before from the metal and sulphuric acid with no problems.

This may be a stupid question but

Recently I have attempted to prepare it from Neodymium chloride and sulphuric acid by metathesis. As Neodymium sulphate is relatively insoluble, esp in hot water I expected it to precipitate out when warmed.

2NdCl3 + 3H2SO4 > Nd2(SO4)3 + 6HCl

What I get is a very pale lilac crystalline precipitate which is almost insoluble in hot or cold water. The same thing happens when using a neutral sulphate in the reaction. This is not neodymium sulphate. Does anyone have any idea what it is ? and why I am not getting Neodymium sulphate
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 10:21

It is soluble in cold water, but you need to take the time for this. It dissolves slowly, very slowly. I have made the same material from Nd2O3 and dilute H2SO4.

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/neodymium/pr...

Apparently, neodymium sulfate exists in different forms, e.g. with free hydrated Nd-ions and with a sulfato complex of Nd. But the precise characteristic of the material is not known to me. Both materials, however react as Nd-sulfate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 11:10

Woelen can you do a nice page like that on making the sulphate from the metal? I have a Kg of the pure metal and I always wondered what would be the most fun to do with it. Be nice if you did the nitrate from metal also as it makes a better dopant for glow powders and miscellaneous other experiments (using the nitrate instead of other salts that is).

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 12:42

Yes, neodymium sulphate is a bit of a strange material, as this thread of mine also evidences.
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 03:08

Thanks for the info folks.

It obviously contains sulphate ions as the clear supernatant gives as positive test for sulphate with Barium nitrate. I have attached a picture of the two "sulphates" I have.

Neodymium sulphates.jpg - 60kB

Go To Top