Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: copper sulfate anhydrous
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 22:30
copper sulfate anhydrous

I was wondering how copper sulfate pentahydrate can be converted to its anhydrous form.

Most info on google tells you how to make "large" crystals of copper sulfate but almost nothing about anhydrous.

Is it simply done by heating the copper sulfate pentahydrate until the water is evaporated or does it require something more complex?

Thanks for allow me to pick someone's brain on this. This form is just awesome! Whoever started this form:), thanks a million.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 23:06

Heat it. Drives off the water. <a target="tab" href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/member.php?action=viewpro&member=Polverone">Polverone</a> started this forum :D

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:00

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
Heat it. Drives off the water. <a target="tab" href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/member.php?action=viewpro&member=Polverone">Polverone</a> started this forum :D
Polverone and madscientist.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 13:28

Ah thank you entropy. Its great they've given us a place to work together! :D

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 14:01

Endo was asking in the crystal growing thread about a science project his daughter was doing. He was running short on time (which is what crystals need to grow) so I suggested she do the project about hydrates versus anhydrates; specifically copper sulphate. You can find some information about it here

I would recommend you stick a cheap dust mask on when grinding up anhydrous copper sulphate. It will turn into a very fine, flour like, powder, and small amounts of it will get airborne. If they get up your nose, you'll be sneezing and itching it for hours; as it's quite irritating.

Some salts can't be dried to anhydrous by heat alone (they'll decompose), so it is a good idea to have a search around or ask.

[Edited on 12-2-2011 by peach]

Go To Top