Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: c mos handling precautions
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 30-10-2010 at 14:44
c mos handling precautions

if a piece of kit has a warning on it to use cmos handling precautiuons when dismantling i assume this is to preserve the component not because of some inherent danger to the dismantler because of toxic compounds or stored current?

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2010 at 14:48

Yup - CMOS = HiZ easily damaged by static electricity zaps. When the first CMOS input op amp ICs came out, the kill rate to them from hobbyist projects was quite high; all the tube users wanted that hi impedance input but weren't used to the sensitivity.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 30-10-2010 at 15:36

I subconsciously touch something metal before I have to pick up a circuit board or a chip. I have never fried anything.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-10-2010 at 21:25

Specifically, always first touch the common terminal (ground, negative power pin, etc.) of whatever circuit or component you're handling. For a circuit, you probably want to touch screws, or whatever traces run around the perimeter, or a battery contact, etc. Avoid internal traces. Chips in circuit are somewhat less sensitive than naked pins, but it depends.

When picking up a chip, ideally you should touch the antistatic foam first, then pull it out. If it's not in foam, pick it up by the corners, where the power supply pins [usually] are.

Another hazard is taking inputs outside of their rated voltage range. This can cause latchup in powered circuits, basically shorting the power supply through the affected chip. Obviously, said chip will get hot rather quickly! This is a good reason to avoid carelessly poking away inside a powered circuit. There is no danger of latchup inside an unpowered circuit (after all, the cure for latchup is to turn off power and restart the circuit -- assuming the affected chip didn't nuke itself in the process, in which case it must be replaced).

Series to look out for include CD4xxx and 74Cxx (but not 74xx or 74LSxx), which are the old CMOS lines. 74HCxx is the newer CMOS line, a bit more robust, but still use caution around it.

These days, ESD isn't such a big deal, because manufacturing processes are more robust than they used to be. Keep in mind that practically everything digital is now CMOS, and most of it runs at vanishingly small voltages (~1.2V for CPU cores!). Transistors are smaller than ever, but only on the inside; the transistors at the pins have to be big enough to drive those slow, beefy PCB traces, often with a lot of current, so they'll be rated for ESD according to the datasheet.

The only thing you really have to remember is charge equalization. Ground your body to the chip, then pick it up; ground body+chip to the circuit, then plug in the chip. You'll never have a problem. You don't need grounding clips or anything, just equalize it really. (This is more specific than "touch something metal", since an obviously example would be touching a metallic Van de Graff generator!)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 03:09

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
I subconsciously touch something metal before I have to pick up a circuit board or a chip. I have never fried anything.

I tried suggesting that on an electric DIY forum, with an additional background of my vast experience of doing it.

You wouldn't believe the amount of shit I got back about it from people who don't even know CMOS is or how silicon works.

I'd say take your shoes off and stay sat in one place while you do it, but given the electron microscope thing I don't know if taking your shoes off in this case would be a good idea. :D

The people I've seen working on computers in clubs and at stores other than PC world just touch the frame whilst it's plugged in to discharge themselves. You need to do that each time you spend a significant amount of time not picking out components.

But yeah, if you get into the subconscious habit of doing it, it takes zero time. Your hands will be right beside the case anyway.

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 03:10

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  

These days, ESD isn't such a big deal, because manufacturing processes are more robust than they used to be. [snip] transistors are smaller than ever, but only on the inside; the transistors at the pins have to be big enough to drive those slow, beefy PCB traces, often with a lot of current, so they'll be rated for ESD according to the datasheet.

I tried making that point as well, but I think it was lost on 'em.

[Edited on 31-10-2010 by peach]

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  

These days, ESD isn't such a big deal, because manufacturing processes are more robust than they used to be. [snip] transistors are smaller than ever, but only on the inside; the transistors at the pins have to be big enough to drive those slow, beefy PCB traces, often with a lot of current, so they'll be rated for ESD according to the datasheet.

Doesn't stop me shouting at people walking around the office with naked circuit boards. :mad: We have anti-static bags, so there's no excuse.
Worst thing about static damage is that things can get 'slightly' broken, and not fail properly until out in the field. We've still had issues in our factory from time to time - we have cmos cameras attached to glass, with a cable trailing off just waiting to get zapped.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 03:07

CMOS has incredibly small junctions inside the chip which helps with low power usage, and speed. BUT these same junctions die with only a tiny charge applied. Best to use a wrist strap and grounding wire for you and the board so that you are both at the same potential and nothing can therefore flow to kill junctions.

The grounding wire should have a resistance of 100K to 1M ohm and the wrist strap should be conductive on the inside but insulated on the outside. This is to prevent currents flowing of life threatening scale if you touch something live.

Sometimes you ground to the mains ground sometimes to just the same ground (bench top) that the board is sitting on and grounded to.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:59

I see pictures on the Internet where people put their brand new video card on the carpet. ARGH! I always pick up PCBs by the edges so I don't touch the circuits.

My soldering iron has a ground terminal on the back. That plugs into a wire that wraps around my finger.

So basically touch something metal and don't shuffle your feet or pet a cat and everything will be ok. Don't Panic :)

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 23:06

thank-you ALL for the response, this electron microscope is doing my head in and i'm fairly sure i'm going give up on it and just use it as an ornament, albeit a 800kg one, one of the drawers has a nice dessicator built into it.
Cutting the loom was a big mistake but after two days trying to run them apart logically i realised i would be there forever. There were so many wires in the loom i got serious cramp in my wrist from the sidecutters.
At 4am on the last evening i had to get the thing out i almost died when a one inch thick 2 foot in diameter stainless plate came loose ( i had undone the fastening screw lying on my back underneath it thinking it came out from above the desk, but no the rotating plate was in two pieces) and i was under it under the desk, i have no idea how i got out of the way, it makes me think perhaps i'm a ninja.

The cmos elements are around 200mm in diameter and around 5mm thick, does this sound right, there are like 8 of them.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 16:16

Go To Top