Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to remove ink and dyes
biko76
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 16:49
How to remove ink and dyes

Greeting everyone. As a first time posting to your message board I hope my question is acceptable and meaningful.

First, my background in chemistry is rudimentary at best. I understand that the reaction between acetone, hydrogen peroxide and bleech can be used to remove ink in certain circumstances. However, this same combination has also shown to be unable to remove such inks.

Can anyone suggest a sure method used to remove any type of ink in any circumstance.

Your time given this post is greatly appreciated.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 17:09

I can't think of a sure method, but after making azo dyes my lab coat was a mess. I just washed it with hell and fury for a month. It's white again, finally.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 17:50

I haven't tried any of the following, they're from an old encyclopedia called Roempp's Chemie Lexikon:

Dye (aniline dye, tar dye) stains:
Use dilute lime of chloride (then followed by 10% sodium thiosulfate solution to wash it out); Eau de Javelle, H2O2, or 10% conc. sodium bisulfite (this together with strongly dilute hydrochloric acid) can be use to chemically decompose and bleach. Chlorine containing products should be avoided with silk and wool. Dipping in 0.1% conc. KMnO4 solution, rinsing, and then dipping in oxalic acid solution and washing.

Ink stains:
Treat with alcohol, red tints treat like dyes. Can spray with water and then on the moist stain let tartaric acid powder, citric acid solution (maybe juice from lemons and NaCl), or potassium hydrogen oxalate act on it. These destroy iron gall ink complexes. With remaining residues of ink (usually bluish tar dyes), then the same measures taken against dyes above can be used. Another way: iron gall ink is dabbed with strongly dilute hydrochloric acid (5mL conc. HCl with 95mL water mixture), and then to this is added some hdyrogen peroxide, this is then washed. Sometimes milk is helpful (its reductases reduce aniline dyes to the colorless leuco form).

[Edited on 11-4-2010 by Formatik]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 20:18

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  
I haven't tried any of the following, they're from an old encyclopedia called Roempp's Chemie Lexikon:

I have uploaded that handbook, in German, to my Rapidshare Premium account, and posted links for downloading it in the References section. I can also seed it as a Torrent download, if requested.
biko76
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 05:55

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  

I have uploaded that handbook, in German, to my Rapidshare Premium account, and posted links for downloading it in the References section. I can also seed it as a Torrent download, if requested.

Thank you for responding. Would you suggest the same method from the book you proposed to remove in from not only cloth but paper products?
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 11:12

Those are just some old (iron gall inks are hardly used anymore) general methods removing those stains. On paper some of those might leave wrinkles and cause bleaching (bleaching shouldn't be bad if it's not recycled).

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  

I made due with an older version that's from like the 1970's, but I'm glad to see newer versions in circulation.

[Edited on 11-4-2010 by Formatik]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-4-2010 at 05:03

Ink? Stains? Removed from what?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-4-2010 at 07:09

HI, BILLY MAYS HERE FOR OXYCLEAN!

Cough, ahem..

[Edited on 4-26-2010 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2010 at 17:03

Every circumstance is different. Usually liberal application of the
inks own solvent will effectively remove it to the point where what
may remain is unnoticeable. Some inks such as toners are actually
plastic and requires more judicious choice of solvent. Inks that may
contain salts which can leave embedded metals are something
that requires chemical treatment to remove , such as acid for iron.
The material which is being treated must of course be able to resist
whatever treatment is applied. My preference for overall remover
is methylene chloride but it is usually only available as paint stripper
in pint cans.

Go To Top