Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: test lamp needed
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 18:53
test lamp needed

I need a test lamp for callibrating my IR. I could use polystyrene and adjust by trial and error but the procedure using the test lamp seems a lot more straightforward. I don't have the manual here but I recall it was a 1024 nm source that was needed.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 02:44

1024nm, isn't that a YAG laser?

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 08:11

I'll check this am.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 18:50

It needs to be a monchromatic source not necessesarily coherent and it's one of the Hg vapor green lines... and it might have been 532 nm .. still have to look it up

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 21:43

If it's a mercury line, you can get that with an ordinary mercury vapor lamp, a diffraction grating, and a slit aperture. Use a cheap mercury lamp, one without phosphors, special filter glass, other vaporants, etc.; just the mercury, please. Put a slit in front of the lamp. Look at the slip through the diffraction grating to determine the angle.

You can pick out the line by eye if you're familiar with the spectrum. Here's a page with spectrum pictures taken from various lamps. The 546 nm line is green.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 15:09

Calibration on only 1 line ?? Usually one would distribute several lines over all the lambda-range of the spectrometer, and then derive some polynome for mapping the data or something like that.

What would give a good IR-Standard might be the question:
==> easily obtainable substance,
==> with relyingly reproducible spectrum

Then just take the spectrum, see what it appears to be and what it should be, and calibrate ...
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 15:48

Quote:
Originally posted by chief
Calibration on only 1 line ??
If you were building one from scratch, sure, one line would be greatly insufficient. But since chemrox said he needed a monochromatic source, that's what a single line is.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 19:01

the callibration with one line gets the grating angle in the ballpark and then the final tweaking is with indene if available or polystyrene

Go To Top