Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No more personal work for a while...
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 15:29
No more personal work for a while...

To all friends and others that may feel concerned,

there will not be any new experimental work and reports coming from me for an unknown period.

Please be reassured, this is not because anything bad happened to me, quite the opposite actually. I have obtained a very promising new job in a reputable laboratory, across the country from where I live at the moment.
This obviously implies that I will have to dismantle my lab, but unfortuanly I am uncertain if I will be able to set it up again in a near futur. I will surely be moving in a small appartement in my new town, and chances are i will not be able to set up a lab in such a location. Moving all my equipement over 1000km isn't a easy thing to organize either. Hopefully, one day i will be able to find a solution, but until then I have to stop all my personal work and suspend my various projects. I am sure I will have all the chemistry I need at work, and I plan on investing myself completly in this passionating new job.

I thought I would let everyone know, so that nobody worries about my futur absence. I will certainly visit the forum daily, and participate in discussions and threads once i will have moved in and been able to have internet acces, which might take a few weeks. I still have a couple of weeks before leaving the town in which I currently live in, so you will still have to bare with me for a while :)

I will be thrilled if anyone feels like working on various subjects I have worked on, like the TEMPO derivatives, or hydrogenation catalysts etc. It would be a real pleasure to see further experimental work on such topics.

Hopefully when i will be able to restart doing lab work at home, I will be in even better conditions, and I am convinced it would be even more pleasureable after a extended halt.

EDIT: I can't beleive it, this is my 1000th post! Feels like closing a chapter :)

[Edited on 29-10-2008 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 15:36

Klute, my congratulations on your new job, but this is most unfortunate (to us)! Thanks again for all of the good conversation, advice, and excellent work. Your posts are always a pleasure to read and I look forward to the day that you're back in your laboratory!

Don't keep us waiting long!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 19:42

Congratulations! I really enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck with the new job (I am still trying to find one, and graduation is fastly approaching :( )

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 20:10

Congratulations on your new job; sounds like it will be quite rewarding!

Yes, I will miss your experimental work. But I have a feeling you won't be able to stop for long. You don't just want to spend your evenings watching TV! Assuming that you have a raise in pay I predict that your new lab will be better than ever.

Be careful in the selection of your new abode. Check out the proximity and friendliness of neighbors, make sure you have an extra room that you can secure, and plan how you will construct the vent system for your fume hood! :D
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 23:32

Thank you for the kind comments! Indeed, I doubt I will be able to spend evenings in front of TV :D

Finding a good appartement with a ventialtion exhaust isn't an easy thing, but I will have to take my time in visiting different places. I don't think the futur landlord would be too thrilled about me drilling holes everywhere... At least I will have plenty of time to design the hood properly!

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 15:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Klute
Finding a good appartement with a ventialtion exhaust isn't an easy thing, but I will have to take my time in visiting different places. I don't think the futur landlord would be too thrilled about me drilling holes everywhere... At least I will have plenty of time to design the hood properly!

If you fail to find a suitable location can i have all your schlenk gear?

:D

Sincere congratulations on your new found employment. Does your new employer know about the possibility that you will die in the next couple of weeks, oh also if this happens can i have all your Schlenk gear?

:P:D

Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 16:11

Well done on your new job!
Yes setting up a lab in an apartment is going to be difficult but i suppose your new job will keep you busy!
Keep us posted!
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 00:18

Good luck, Klute, we will miss hearing about your experiments till you can get set up again!

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 05:22

Good luck, i still need to drop you a mail, time has been short for me as of now!
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 09:01

Nah, my schlenk gear is going to stay all cosy in the cardboard boxes :P Not the most satisfying places for them I guess... It's a pity, I have some new glassware that I will not be able to try out! Ah well, choices need to be made.

Having good conditions to setup a (smaller) lab will be my first priority when looking for a appartement, I don't need much in the matter of confort. I am quite limite dmoney-wise, but I will handle the first few difficult months. Cna't wait to get started at work! I still have a few things to clear up at my old work, and finish paperwork etc so I haevn't had time to start cleaning the lab yet...

-Alice Parr
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 12:39

Klute, also my sincere congratulations! Good to read that you have a good job in chemistry!

And yes, I also will really miss your great experimental work, you belong to the top of this forum and you have shown us what home chemists can achieve.

If possible, don't put away your chemicals and apparatus, store them at a family's or friend's place. Even if you have to store them for 15 years or so, don't worry. I myself have been involved in home chemistry till I was 18 years old, and then I moved out to a student's flat. I stored all my stuff at my parent's home and when I was 35 or so, I picked up things again and almost everything was still in a fantastic condition. The only chemicals which have become useless were the 30% H2O2 and the 10% NaOCl solutions, all others were still good (I had taken very great care in packaging the precious chems in good containers, with multiple plastic bags around them to keep air in/out flow due to temperature changes to a minimum).

I also hope that in the future we keep on seeing your contributions over here. You can comment on other's experiments, and also theoretical insights can be very helpful.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 01:20

Yes, that is exactly what I'm going to do! My parents live in the south of France, so I will be able to leave my equipement there, neatly packaged. My old room will be empty, so it won't bother them.
I have just bought an old Rotavap for a very interesting price, it's a pity it will just have to wait! It was just the kind of ocasion you cannot miss, I've been craving for a Rotavap for years, but really couldn't throw in >1000E... I payed 50E for a old Buchi!

This forum has brought me so much, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got this job if I hadn't discovered this place and invested myself, the discussion fueled my passion for chemistry, which I am sure the interviewers noticed. I can only hope my contributions sparked more interest and motivation in others too.

-Alice Parr

Go To Top