[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 13:43
iNAP

[Edited on 21-10-2024 by Hey Buddy]

BITN6993.jpg - 105kBTYOM9419.jpg - 114kBWIJE0054.jpg - 108kB
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 14:03
Low rpm NAP

CBEU8845.jpg - 196kBDQFP8442.jpg - 154kBRMPF3466.jpg - 189kBBMJV6250.jpg - 194kB
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 14:04
uNAP

EFGV9775.jpg - 201kBQZOS6428.jpg - 226kB
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 14:05
1200 rpm NAP

ELZQ2287.png - 1.1MBFEZJ5068.jpg - 160kBPWVB6838.jpg - 173kBUQNA0407.jpg - 156kB
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 17:17

Quote:
Microtek has claimed this, so I would assume it to be accurate. I have not found a form of NAP that is less impact sensitive than ETN. Once in a while, a sample will withstand quite an impact, but I judge on average, it is a more sensitive material than ETN. iNAP is close, but slightly more impact sensitive than ETN in my judgement. ETN is a fairly insensitive secondary explosive. Melt state ETN is more impact sensitive than NAP. iNAP is insensitive to friction within the capabilities of my testing.

Yeah I don't need to lose any fingers (or whole hands) to misconceptions. So far with this hobby I have avoided any and all serious injuries and I don't plan on having any incidents. The worst I had is inhalation issues and given the toxicity of NAP byproducts I am having some serious worries about that.

By melt-state ETN I assume you mean ETN as it is molten? Once it cools back down and hardens it is safer to handle. Still more sensitive, but I have melt-cast ETN and ground it back up again many times without any incident.

Which is the more impact sensitive than NAP? Melt-cast and resoldified ETN or ETN as it is in liquid form?

Quote:
uNAP and NAP detonate at approximately 270 C. iNAP, perhaps a little higher temp.

I'll have to test that by putting a nichrome wire e-match next to some when testing to see if it does set it off then without a safety match on the wire.

Quote:
No two detonator designs are the same, they have wide ranges. The density of the RDX alters the minimum priming masses. The interface from primary to secondary influences the transfer of the detonation. 50 or 100 mg is more than enough to detonate RDX. RDX can be detonated with 5 mg of uNAP confidently. I was attempting to demonstrate in this thread that uNAP detonates PETN at less than 1 mg masses. It's like I'm just writing these posts to myself.:P

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't have time to fully read everyone's posts... and wow, that is a teeny tiny amount, so maybe just 25mg that is very lightly and gently pressed is all I need.

and I am very tired as I write this, so I probably missed out on what others have written. I also will need to review Dugan Boomfax's videos on it. He does show quite a lot of good stuff there.

There is one safety question I do have: Is there a safe way to neutralize and dispose of NAP (and all variants) without detonating them in some remote area?
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2024 at 17:58

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

Which is the more impact sensitive than NAP? Melt-cast and resoldified ETN or ETN as it is in liquid form?

NAP forms I've tested are all more impact sensitive than powder ETN. If it is melted ETN in question, it is much more impact sensitive than NAP. Large crystal slow precipitation NAP is quite sensitive, detonating with only a slight tap from a 4lb hammer. iNAP is more impact and friction insensitive than any other high powered primary I'm familiar with besides some of the unusual tetrazoles.

I'll have to test that by putting a nichrome wire e-match next to some when testing to see if it does set it off then without a safety match on the wire.

Glowing nichrome ranges from somewhere between 400 C to 1000 C so it is definitely going to surpass 270 C, which will detonate NAP immediately assuming there is heat transfer.

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't have time to fully read everyone's posts... and wow, that is a teeny tiny amount, so maybe just 25mg that is very lightly and gently pressed is all I need.

No worries, I'm happy if I can help. I am soft for SM members. SM has taught me so much.-- On primes, It will depend on your exact configuration but IMO 25 mg of any NAP in contact with RDX at medium to low density, will transfer detonation.

There is one safety question I do have: Is there a safe way to neutralize and dispose of NAP (and all variants) without detonating them in some remote area?

You can boil NAP to decompose it, it will turn black when destroyed. Water itself desensitizes it and it doesn't detonate when wet. It sort of crackles and pops. If you boil NAP black, it is likely nickel oxide in there along with some perchlorate which can contaminate water and interfere with thyroid glands in people and animals if they indirectly ingest it or absorb it at high enough concentration.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2024 at 15:04

Quote:
NAP forms I've tested are all more impact sensitive than powder ETN. If it is melted ETN in question, it is much more impact sensitive than NAP. Large crystal slow precipitation NAP is quite sensitive, detonating with only a slight tap from a 4lb hammer. iNAP is more impact and friction insensitive than any other high powered primary I'm familiar with besides some of the unusual tetrazoles.

Quote:
No worries, I'm happy if I can help. I am soft for SM members. SM has taught me so much.-- On primes, It will depend on your exact configuration but IMO 25 mg of any NAP in contact with RDX at medium to low density, will transfer detonation.

This information is what I need, and the uNAP variant is what I am looking at the most, since it does appear to be superior to iNAP. I plan on hard pressing RDX in my caps as much as I can (as it is much safer to press anyway... RDX is quite forgiving), but as you and others have noted: The harder the pressing of the secondary, the bigger punch you need to set it off, meaning I need I will want to add more than 25mg (like I said, 50mg or 100mg... make it 100mg) to absolutely guarantee detonation.

And loading that much might be dangerous. But given that it did take Dugan Boomfax did give some uNAP bits a few good smacks with his 4 lb steel hammer to get it to go off, I might be exaggerating, especially with how softly I press my primaries nowadays.

Another thing that could be done is to do what Dugan did with iNAP by loading the material in a plastic tube that is making contact with a fuse/e-match and then inserting that into the blasting cap. He said he does this mostly with iNAP and not often with uNAP, but he did imply he has done it that way. This does more friction work than impact, and uNAP is quite friction insensitive.

Quote:
Glowing nichrome ranges from somewhere between 400 C to 1000 C so it is definitely going to surpass 270 C, which will detonate NAP immediately assuming there is heat transfer.

I believe you! I will still test it to be sure once I have everything.

Quote:
You can boil NAP to decompose it, it will turn black when destroyed. Water itself desensitizes it and it doesn't detonate when wet. It sort of crackles and pops. If you boil NAP black, it is likely nickel oxide in there along with some perchlorate which can contaminate water and interfere with thyroid glands in people and animals if they indirectly ingest it or absorb it at high enough concentration.

and I assume after the NAP is destroyed, some elemental iron will be needed (some steel bits will work I assume?) in order to destroy the perchlorates as well.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top