Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: PETN synth
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2024 at 00:43

Instead of purifying your nitrate esters "blind" you should invest in some indicator strip. Then you test the pH of the acetone solution of ETN or PETN and if it is acid you add a little base such as dilute ammonia or solid bicarbonate. You only just go to neutral, or VERY SLIGHTLY above because the esterification is an equilibrium reaction that will react with water to produce dilute nitric acid and erythritol or PE. This reverse reaction is so slow that you can wash your product with as much clean water as you want, but it is catalysed by both acid and base. That is why you shouldn't use NaOH (the hydroxide ion is too strong a base), and also why you shouldn't use too much ammonia (higher concentration means more catalytic activity).
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2024 at 15:34

Yes. I learned that a while ago. I didn't bother with pH strips before, but this is not the case anymore. I use pH strips also when washing my material and during recrystalization now.

The PETN that I made was done a long time ago and before I learned how to properly recrystalize things (and realize that multiple recrystalizations is essential). I have learned much since then and I will salvage what PETN I did make and also make sure that the next batch or two that I make will not only be prepared properly, but also purified properly.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top