Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30
Author: Subject: Moonshiners' 'Thumpers': Myth or Reality?
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 08:52

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  

You presented a Hypothesis, well sir (you know what is required:()
You have to attempt to disprove it:)

Higher up I've given the example of NOT having to try and disprove the hypothesis in the case of the chemical conversion of lead to gold.

It's not necessary to conduct experiments re. the chemical conversion of lead to gold because First Principles prove beyond reasonable doubt that it can't be done.

Equally I consider 'thumpers don't work' to have been proved from First Principles.

Having said that, if my confrere (who will remain unnamed until he fully consents) agrees to carry out the experiment then we will. I'm currently off ill and couldn't do it if they paid me for it, sadly.

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Agree, my opinion ( which is only opinion) is that the careful control of temperature maters more than the thumper. (opinion only )

Perhaps I may have a lottery ticket to bear fruit someday and I could do more that talk and actually do some carefully controlled experiments.
Unfortunately in the world of science biased experiments can happen to easily.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:04

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
Unfortunately in the world of science biased experiments can happen to easily.

Sure, but the experiment we have in mind is so simple anyone could reproduce it and verify any bias.

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:04

While experiments are always useful, there really isn't any need for it here. This is well known physics, there is nothing new to be discovered here (at least not from this experiment). But if it helps you understand the physics, by all means go for it.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:06

Yeah... I was gonna post up a bunch of horse poop, and say SEE!!!

I can only tell you truthfully from REAL WORLD experience. a thumper when properly run (as described for an experiment) will add approx. 20% abv. to a finished product.

The only "cost" is the time spent waiting for the thumper to come on line, and the energy used waiting for this to happen.

If the experiment is done here, and fails, it is only because it was done incorrectly, and I did explain how to run it so...

I love you guys already. The passion you all show for what you do is commendable.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
While experiments are always useful, there really isn't any need for it here. This is well known physics, there is nothing new to be discovered here (at least not from this experiment). But if it helps you understand the physics, by all means go for it.

Are you, and Blog neighbors? Room mates? Kin? :)

5 pages in 12 hours... Nice topic Blog!

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

If the experiment is done here, and fails, it is only because it was done incorrectly, and I did explain how to run it so...

Already that is a deeply SHAMEFUL thing to say. It's idiotic.

'You didn't get my results because you didn't do it properly'. The type of criticism already anticipated higher up.

You really are an insufferable twit. :mad:

And still you expect me to conduct an experiment.

What people like you do on a science site is beyond me. Go take up knitting. Or at least keep your crap to yourself.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:15

More emotive bull from the resident imbecile.

GO AWAY.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

More emotive bull from the resident imbecile.

GO AWAY.

No need to take any of this personal. It's just a mix of words.

Fuel for the fire to see this happen.:cool:

Zom.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:24

It's just a mix of words.

Yeah, word salad is definitely your speciality.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:32

word-salad-dinosaur.jpg - 135kB

Zom.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:44

Nope, not related or neighbors. It's just that we both know what the h*ll we're talking about :D

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:49

It wouldn't be the first time you've been wrong, would it Gert? The reduction of potassium hydroxide by magnesium (stickied thread) rings a distict sounding bell.

I don't know either way, and I don't have the free time to invest in this on a practical level. But in your theoretical considerations, you may be missing factors (how about the differing heat capacities of ethanol and water and binary mixtures thereof?). Give it a fair chance without being biased - experiment is king.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:04

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
It wouldn't be the first time you've been wrong, would it Gert? The reduction of potassium hydroxide by magnesium (stickied thread) rings a distict sounding bell.

Great logic, DJF90. I was wrong about something ergo I must be wrong about this too. Even basic logic escapes you. Smearing on the other hand suits you down to the ground.

What, by the way was wrong with the reduction of potassium hydroxide by magnesium. Do explain, you know?

Re. experiments on thumpers, a fellow experimenter and myself will carry out this experiment. Unlike you of course...

Quote:
how about the differing heat capacities of ethanol and water and binary mixtures thereof

Neither enlightens, nor explains.

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:14
Die Antwoord

First, some inspiration, who better than the South African group "Die Antwoord" meaning, The Answer, and their song "Cookie Thumper" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nrF5aXPlQ

Now for some chemical engineering, I have simulated this process using the open source process engineering software called COCO which I have rant and raved about forever now...

http://www.cocosimulator.org/

See file attached of my simulation.

Okay, I don't know much about brewing, so like a good engineer I made some assumptions.

Firstly, I can only simulate steady state operations so I've had to come up with a setup that approximates as thumper in steady state operation.

I assumed the feed is 5 wt. % alcohol, entirely thumb sucked, I have no idea what is the usual concentration here.

I've used a NRTL equilibrium model, this is an advanced model that ought to accurately describe the non-ideal behaviour of water-ethanol, for what it's worth.

I've assumed that the 'still' boils up 10% of the feed continuously (again thumb sucked number), this resulted in a vapour with an alcohol mole fraction of 0.105

Then to simulate the thumper in my steady state process. I mixed this vapour stream with another feed at the same concentration and flowrate as the original, but at 73°C.

The result surprised me I must say. After splitting the mixed stream into vapour and liquid fractions using an adiabatic flash operation, the vapour alcohol concentration jumped to 0.177 mole fraction.

Please shout if you want changes made and I'll do my best to accommodate them.

Attachment: Thumper COFE simulation.fsd (52kB)
This file has been downloaded 639 times

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:21

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  

The result surprised me I must say. After splitting the mixed stream into vapour and liquid fractions using an adiabatic flash operation, the vapour alcohol concentration jumped to 0.177 mole fraction.

How does an uninsulated pot constitute an adiabatic flash operation?

deltaH

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:26

No, that's just for ease of viewing, basically just splits the incoming stream, which is a mix of vapour and liquid, it's the mixer itself (before this unit) which actually simulates the 'thumper'. The flash unit doesn't do anything but split off the portion of the stream vapour into one stream and the portion liquid into another.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:27

What does "steady state mean?

The initial boiler, and thumper charges should be approx 10% but I guess that number can be anything.

The math the simulator did is correct in that the output will be higher due to vapor leaching more vapor thru vapor / liquid interaction.

My concern is if steady state means constant temp... Then the number for the result is lower than if the model could follow a curve in temp to follow the shifting mole fractions in the vessels.

That is a great starting point however. Thank you for taking the time to run it.
I have KG Tower software but it will not run a simple process.

Zom.
deltaH

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:28

Incidently, if the temperature of the feed of the thumper rised significantly above 73C, then the conc. of the alcohol drops in the final vapour, it also drops if it's too low, I manually tried a few number to find a rough optimum.

deltaH

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:34

Steady state means it's running continuously and the compositions and conditions in a unit don't change with time. This is not how home batch distillation is carried out, but it is how industrial processes run.

It's not the same thing obviously, but with some thought into designing the setup, you can get a simulation that captures what's going on and glean some understanding, certainly can allow us to see if we can increase the concentration of alcohol by passing vapours through a pool of hot feed a second time.

My main gripe with this approach is this temperature of the second feed, the 73C I chose. This is thumb sucked, I don't know what the temperature in a real thumper is. If it's lower or higher, it won't work so well.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:38

delta:

Thumper 'theory' relies on temperature of the still vapour going up. As indeed it does in batch operations.

That and everything else they can throw at it, kitchen sink included.

deltaH

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:39

What I am trying to say is that in a batch operation, you don't 'set' the temperature of the thumper, it sets itself by it's operating point which is the simultaneous solution of the mass and energy balances and equilibrium of course.

Anybody ever measured the temperature in a thumper? I can then enter this number into my simulation.

No the temperature dropped in my simulation

The drop in temperature makes perfect sense because as the concentration of the alcohol goes up, the temperature must surely drop. I'm seeing this as a type of second stage of sorts, but normally where you would use reflux liquid from the down-commer of the next stage or condenser, here hot feed liquid serves as reflux and because it's not as concentrated as what the down-commer liquid would be, you don't get as good enrichment as you would with a proper second stage, but you do get some enrichment.

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by deltaH]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
Steady state means it's running continuously and the compositions and conditions in a unit don't change with time. This is not how home batch distillation is carried out, but it is how industrial processes run.

It's not the same thing obviously, but with some thought into designing the setup, you can get a simulation that captures what's going on and glean some understanding, certainly can allow us to see if we can increase the concentration of alcohol by passing vapours through a pool of hot feed a second time.

My main gripe with this approach is this temperature of the second feed, the 73C I chose. This is thumb sucked, I don't know what the temperature in a real thumper is. If it's lower or higher, it won't work so well.

I can give you that temp, and the mole fraction.

They are on a graph around page three of this thread. I'll find it.

Zom.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:47

I find it hard to believe that such a simple idea can cause so much trading of insults.

The process is very very simple and doesn't violate anything! DeltaH is onto the right track. Stop thinking about the "thumper" as a secondary still but as a partial condenser. If the feed vapor is less than 95% ethanol, which it will always be in this case, any condensate that forms in the system will contain less alcohol per unit mass than the residual vapor. Therefore the residual vapor will be slightly enriched in alcohol relative to the "feed". No principles on conservation of energy or thermodynamics are violated because the mass of the residual vapor is less, its temperature will probably also have fallen and so will the latent heat of vaporisation of the remaining components since the LHV of water is significantly higher than alcohol.

In effect a "thumper" is a single-plate Coffey type rectifier; pretty much like Zombie's illustration on the very first page of this thread.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:48

Try 90.5*c @ 10% ABV

That is the boiling point at that charge. You may have to bump up the temp Slightly.

As the ABV in the boiler goes down so does the boil point in the thumper.

Zom.
deltaH

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:49

blogfast, I think if you think of this along the lines of traditional industrial columns, it's similar to operating a two stage column with two feeds, one to the boiler and one to the top of tray one and running a total condenser. That top feed then 'becomes' your reflux. I can simulate that 'column' in chemsep, another free program.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30

Go To Top