Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Real exploding foam demonstration
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 27-5-2014 at 11:51

I'd avoid acetone at all cost due to it detonating if it were me (that would probably shred the cone), I'd rather go for the alcoholic version so as to get a fast deflageration, but not a detonation (hopefully).

Again, safety first please! Goggles/face shield and ear muffs a must (the latter in case it detonates again).

Tightly rolled up paper is pretty strong and relatively safe should it blow (pieces don't travel far). Just be weary that the cone could shoot back loose of your taping, so don't stand right behind it.

[Edited on 27-5-2014 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 27-5-2014 at 12:33

When working in soap factory, alcohol (ethanol) or volatile solvents where used as foam killers!
So the use of aceton, ethanol, methanol, isopropanol tends to destabilise the foam...it will last much less time than without the solvents.

There can be options if you find a tickener stuff that gelifies with such solvents...we used special stuffs to make soap consistent in the high duty liquid departement of Procter&Gamble but I don't remember the name.

I suspect polystyrene-aceton might be an option or methylcellulose glue for wall-papers.

The PS-aceton might allow to make a foam with H2O2/acetylen that becomes solid under drying since PS is fully soluble in aceton but leaves a fine pellicule of PS if allowed to stay in the air. This becomes brittle when completely dry. For demo in closed environment don't play with it in big amount and stay away from heat sources or glass!
If energetic properties are searched...for better OB a little excess of oxygen over acetylen is wished as polystyrene introduce some extra carbon rich fuel.

One might even imagine a PS foam with only pure oxygen in it. ;) as a safer very flammable plastic foam.

[Edited on 27-5-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
deltaH

[*] posted on 27-5-2014 at 23:10

Great and thanks for the suggestions PHILOU!

There are also various supermarket OTC gums available that should stabilise foams by adding a very small amount (~0.5 - 1 wt. %), things like xanthan or guar gum for example, I have both in my kitchen.

The thickened liquid then probably wouldn't even require soap at all, it would form a dense mass of foam (very small bubbles). However, my gut feeling tells me that such dense masses will tend to detonate instead of deflagerate when ignited because 'containment' is stronger and also the pressure in the bubbles is slightly higher.

I remember when I was studying as an undergrad being taught that for very small bubbles in liquids, the internal pressure inside the bubble increases as the bubble diameters decrease (due to surface tension) otherwise known as Laplace pressure. This becomes dramatic when bubbles become very small (e.g. microbubbles). This would make the gas mix far more detonatable I would imagine.

Where γ = surface tension and dP = the difference in pressure between the inside and outside of the bubble.

This could be a big advantage for employing foams, but again, the bubbles need to be micron sized if you aiming for detonation I would guess.

A side effect of this principle is that as you form smaller bubbles, the need for a volatile fuel becomes more important because there may otherwise not be as much fuel evaporating into the gas phase.

While perhaps purely academic/commercial, dimethyl ether could be a great fuel (maybe even close to 'ideal') for such purposes because it is very volatile, but dissolves in water to the tune of 71g/l. Furthermore, it one of those special ethers that don't form peroxides AFAIK. Unfortunately, it's not OTC in any products that I know of. Perhaps this might stimulate someone to suggest something a little more practical, but along the same lines?

Ordinary diethyl ether is also slightly water soluble, though this can form explosive peroxides, so again the same danger as with acetone...

EDIT: PHILOU, won't the styrene solution in acetone precipitate as soon as one add it to the large volumes of hydrogen peroxide?

[Edited on 28-5-2014 by deltaH]

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 11:46

The tinier the bubbles implies also more surface of defined thickness --> in theory at a certain stage the bubble diameter will be equal to the bubble wall thickness (or even tinier) then the OB will be less good.

PS will precipitate if done in one shot but one can make drop by drop fall of aceton/H2O2 into PS/aceton/catalyst...under mixing. That way we made, at P&G, 80% silicon solution into alcohol suspendable into water with a viscosity of 10 cps...that silicon was >200.000 cps.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
deltaH

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
The tinier the bubbles implies also more surface of defined thickness --> in theory at a certain stage the bubble diameter will be equal to the bubble wall thickness (or even tinier) then the OB will be less good.

I didn't quite understand how this affects OB, can you ellaborate please?

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 03:11

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  

I didn't quite understand how this affects OB, can you ellaborate please?

-PS has a density of 1040g/L what is roughly 10 moles/L monomeric unit.
-Pure O2 being a gas, MM= 32g/mole with a molar volume of 22,41 L/mol at SPT --> 1L of O2 at standard T° and pressure weight about 1,428 g.

C6H5-CH=CH2 + 10 O2 --> 8 CO2 + 4 H2O
To get perfect OB (0%) one would need 10 moles of pure O2 per mole of PS monomer.
So 224,1 L O2 (320g) for 0,1L PS (104g)...

The weight ratio between O2/PS must be 320/104 = 3,077
The volumic ratio between O2/PS must be 224,1/0,1 = 2241
So if the volume of the bubble becomes equivalent to the volume of PS...it becomes evident that you will be very deficient at oxydiser/comburant (O2) what means bad OB.

So tiny bubbles yes to favourise the intimate mix but not too tiny.

This effect is comparable to the effect of oxyd layers of Aluminium powders....
The oxyd layer remains relatively constant but if the size of the Aluminium spheres/granules becomes tinier at a certain point the oxyd layer can't be neglected because it induces a dead weight...if the sphere becomes 2 times the oxyd layer thickness; then there is no more aluminium to burn!

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

deltaH

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 05:08

Ah ok, I'm with you now, you were referring to the case where the bubble walls are the fuel, my brain was still stuck in the mode of thinking of vapour fuels only... I have my blond moments :)

On a side note, I was walking today on our beach promenade and noticed heavy persistant foams washing over again because of turbulent seas. We're having stormy weather. Anyhow, the spots where this foam forms thickest is also the spots where we have a lot of brown algae washing up and these gets churned and smashed on rocks by heavy wave action.

Why am I mentioning this?

Because brown algae is the source from which commericial alginic acid, typically as sodium alginate, is extracted, so... that reminded me that alginate could also be an OTC foam stabiliser for the alcohol foam mixtures.

Where does one find this stuff? It's typically used to prepare liquid antiacid syrups, usually in the sodium alginate form with some sodium bicarbonate added. In South Africa, this is sold as the popular brand Gaviscon. I also have this in my kitchen :D

It's worth a try perhaps.

... poor cars (not my image and an old one at that gotten off the net!) A shot of the three anchor bay area in Cape Town after a storm showing the foams I'm talking about ;)

[Edited on 29-5-2014 by deltaH]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
I did a little test with 10 mLs of 20% hydrogen peroxide and 20 mLs of 95% isopropanol. (And liquid soap for foam)
I don't have any iodides at the moment so I used MnO2.
The first time it made a nice "pop".
But after that it made some pretty good booms!
It splattered flaming liquid all over the lab too.

I tried this, too. 5 mL each of isopropanol and 30% hydrogen peroxide, and a bit of dish soap. Adding KI caused a much slower foaming than I had expected; lighting it caused a large flame, which went snap! crackle! pop! like a breakfast cereal, and spat brown flaming foam all over the place.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 10:43

Put some CaC2 and MnO2 into H2O2 with dish soap.Powaaaaaaful explosion.Use in really small amounts like a few bubbles.To make a deflagration,bubble some propane or methane into soapy water. :) SS
deltaH

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 11:47

Quote: Originally posted by kecskesajt  
Put some CaC2 and MnO2 into H2O2 with dish soap.Powaaaaaaful explosion.Use in really small amounts like a few bubbles.To make a deflagration,bubble some propane or methane into soapy water. :) SS

Hmm... interesting variation, thanks for sharing!

[Edited on 11-12-2014 by deltaH]

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 21:41

Federoff ?complete references and an explanation of "elephant foam" would improve this thread for those of us not "in the know."

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 22:08

The acetylene/O2 bubble foam version could at least be a bit safer from premature electrostatic discharge ignitions than the balloons and plastic bags filled from oxy acetylene torches that so many have injured themselves with-

Including myself, many years ago. Ouch.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

deltaH

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 22:38

The peculiar/wonderful thing about this experiment from a demo point of view is that your start with a fuel (CaC2) which goes on to produce a far more energetic fuel fuel (C2H2) by "gaining of water" (strictly speaking by reacting with water) and an oxidant (H2O2) that goes on to produce a far better oxidant (O2) with loss of water. So while CaC2 + H2O2 would not explode directly easily, suddenly you get something that is extremely energetic in the gas phase even when very wet! Really cool chemistry I think.

Chemrox, there is such a HUGE number of demo's and explanations about the related "elephant foam" experiment on YouTube and online, that I feel it is redundant...

Bert, I too was thinking about your misfortunes with acetylene!

An interesting question occurred to me, with the speed of sound being much greater through water than gases, does this mean that the acetylene/O2 foam would detonate at a much higher velocity because of propagation of a detonation (in part) through the liquid phase that initiates the remainder?

This could be an awsome experiment for professionals with high speed camera's.

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by deltaH]

Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 01:05

I would think that the liquid layer (ie. the interface between bubbles) is too thin and that the density variation will cause too much diffraction of the propagating detonation to actually speed up the process. In fact, I think it would slow it down.
Only one way to find out for sure though...
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
I would think that the liquid layer (ie. the interface between bubbles) is too thin and that the density variation will cause too much diffraction of the propagating detonation to actually speed up the process. In fact, I think it would slow it down.
Only one way to find out for sure though...

You are right - they would slow it down, to the extent that they do anything at all (which I question).

In general, detonation/shock waves slow down when they encounter denser materials, they do not speed up. They aren't sound waves - though sound waves are the limiting case of a weak shock wave. Once a shock wave degrades into a sound wave it is no longer a shock wave.

But the thickness of a bubble wall is on the same order as the thickness of a detonation front. I doubt any discernible effect would be encountered unless the foam bubble wall was unusually thick (dense polymer foams would be an example).

Plane detonation/shock fronts are stable, tending to suppress irregularities that develop.
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 07:53

A stoichiometric foam consisting of oxygen as the oxidizer, and a polymer fuel would have to be pretty light, like an aerogel.

If the average polymer composition was CH2 then the oxygen gas bubbles would outweigh the polymer 3.4:1. If it was highly unsaturated, and on average close to being just C, then it would be 2.7:1.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 08:55

What if the polymer were energetic itself? (Polyvinyl nitrate, for example.) The oxygen would then just provide OB, but the polymer would be doing most of the job.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
deltaH

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 10:04

It could be beneficial for the energetic polymer to be soluble in the peroxide solution so that it could harden somewhat when the peroxide decomposes.

In fact, it would probably be even better if the starting mixture has the consistency of a putty that one mixes with a very weak peroxide decomposing catalyst by kneading and then wait for the "dough" to puff up like bread.

Perhaps it could even be two putties that one mixes together by kneading, like what's done with epoxy putty.

Any ideas for a soluble energetic polymer with thickening properties anyone?

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by deltaH]

careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 13:02

If you had an explosive polymer (or polymer mixture) and foamed it, then you would obviously have explosive foam, and the denser the "foam" the more energetic per unit volume. In the high density limit, not very "foamy", and not what people have in mind here I think.

The other route is to use an explosive gas mixture, and the foam forming material simply holds the gas in place.

Or you could do both.

When I was a kid a few times I set off acetylene/oxygen explosions, with a balloon, or in a buried container. On one occasion I buried a heavy glass bottle so that that the rim was flush with the ground.

I added CaC2, peroxide, and whatever I was using to catalyze oxygen release and set it off with a long kitchen match.

The first few times it made a nice loud bang. Then there was a very different explosion, I didn't really hear it exactly, it felt more like being slapped in the face. And the bottle hole was gone. I excavated and discovered the bottle had shattered into little pieces. I presume the last explosion was a true detonation.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 13:08

Aim for 50% acetylene or just a bit under. Initiate with a small high explosive booster, not a flame. Much more reliable...

Potential Destructiveness of Gas Detonations -US Bureau of ia Mines

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top