Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dissolving Neodymium Magnet in .08M HCL solution - Possible?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 00:47

A razor blade is not a magnet. The surface area to volume ratio is not the same. The time it will remain in the stomach is different. So you need to exercise caution in extrapolating from that study.

I remin skeptical that a zinc plated neodymium/iron/boron magnet will function as you want it to as a magnet, and even more skeptical that it will eliminate the hazard of ingestion.

More power to you if you have a good idea and some money to pursue it. But if you ask an opinion on an amateur science board then we will voice our skepticism.

I would love tobe wtong on this one so keep us posted.

Summa
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 01:34

Another way of attacking this problem is in the metallurgy and design of the magnet.

Remember the goal is to get the magnet below 50 kg^2/mm^2 when its in your stomach.

The magnet may or may dissolve completely or partially in your stomach. The experiment is still TBD.

But what about slicing a sphere in N equal pieces then bringing them together to build a sphere with "stuff" (organic?) in between the N pieces that can rapidly degrade in your stomach.

This sphere would then break down into the N pieces with no one N piece being stronger than 50 kg^2/mm^2.
Summa
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 01:35

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

I remin skeptical that a zinc plated neodymium/iron/boron magnet will function as you want it to as a magnet....

Magnets are zinc plated all the time?

Not sure what you mean here.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 02:18

I eas referring to deathhunter88's comment.

I think the disassembling composite magnet is a worse idea. A single magnet causes little harm. But more than one magnet is what causes the delicate surface of the small intestine to be pinched.

Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by Summa  
Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  
Iron just doesn't dissolve very fast in the stomach. Those spheres will exit the stomach nearly intact.

One study showed that a double edged razor blade took 24 hours to lose 37% of it's mass in stomach acid. Razor blades are VERY thin in the first place, so the depth of the corrosion is quite small, and 24 hours is a LONG time for something to remain in the stomach. (If you don't believe me, eat a large bowl of corn without chewing it, and time how long it takes for you to see it again, and that's the time for the entire sojourn in the digestive tract, the stomach transit is much faster)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9283866

The 1997 said 63% of mass gone. So it had 37% left.

Your link clearly says 63% left. If you either can't even read simple sentences in English, or are just lying in any way you can no matter how transparent to maintain your fantasy that you're A Cutting Edge Scientist and Important Businessman; then there would seem to be little point in bothering to continue this discussion.

It's pretty clear from your posts, and their context that you live in a dream-land and have come here to try to bolster your fantasies and lend substance to them by telling us all about your great money making innovations in materials science etc.

I'm surprised that the other posters here haven't mentioned that your posts are not self-consistent. That is to say, you're lying. You can't even decide if you've ordered your $10,000 magnets or not. And of course, as I mentioned above, you're lying about the study you quoted, but were dumb enough to post a link to it to make it even easier for your lies to be discovered.

It's also quite clear that you haven't even read the regulations you're basing your whole idea on, or are unable to understand the simple declarative sentences contained therein since your characterization of them is faulty.

In an earlier post you say, "I don't have much contact with the regular world, and for good reason." I don't question that statement at all. But I do think you probably have trouble accepting what that good reason really is.

But that Idea of making the magnet in pieces that are stuck together by something that will dissolve in the stomach IS really brilliant.

After all it's not like they'll still stick together after the material between them dissolves.

I mean, it's not like they're MAGNETS or something like that which would stick together anyway.

[Edited on 19-10-2016 by Maroboduus]
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 09:24

Yeah, I just realized this conversation is a piece of crap (and now I'm wondering if you are troll or not).
If you want to gain some credibility and you want us to believe you're a honest person and not just a troll, then then go to your garage and put some magnets from a ton of your magnets to that damn acid. If everything goes as planned, report your results. (preferably with photos).

[Edited on 19-10-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 09:35

You could also try reading 16CFR part 1240. The regulation which you are misquoting here, Summa.

Neodymium magnets smaller than those you discuss here are commercially available in the US. It took about 10 seconds to find them online at reasonable prices.

16CFR part 1240 only regulates the sale of said magnets fitting the description in that regulation when sold as toys for amusement.
Summa
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 09:44

Lots of mental masterbation here. Anyway I am moving forward. The lead time on the first shipment is about 21 days. The zinc coated ones. Whether they work as desired or not is irrelevant as the regulations in Europe =/= US regulations.

COGS is 3.8 with an MOQ of 1400. I ordered 2800 based on my initial results of 1 day of selling.

If you want to get into the sourcing detail and my "inconsistency", go right ahead. I thought I could get samples, I couldn't. Some factories don't want to turn on batch production for a client who they have no prior relationship. There is no inconsistency on my end - i just move fast.

While this launch is taking place I am at the same time doing R&D regarding my magnet ideas, as entering the US market would be a giant win.

Summa
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 09:50

Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  
You could also try reading 16CFR part 1240. The regulation which you are misquoting here, Summa.

Neodymium magnets smaller than those you discuss here are commercially available in the US. It took about 10 seconds to find them online at reasonable prices.

16CFR part 1240 only regulates the sale of said magnets fitting the description in that regulation when sold as toys for amusement.

They define it as, "Any aggregation of separable magnetic objects that is a consumer product intended, marketed or commonly used as a manipulative or construction item for entertainment, such as puzzle working, sculpture building, mental stimulation, or stress relief. "

But thats the intention? The biggest market demo is buying them for amusement. Why else would a typical person buy magnetic balls?

Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by Summa  
Lots of mental masterbation here.

Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 10:47

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
LOL

Aga, you were way ahead of the curve here.
Summa
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 12:09

Batch order of Zinc plated 3mm spheres are on its way. lead time for the n42 samples are higher (20 days), so need to eventually watch inventory turnover when I start doing volume. The n35 samples have a much shorter lead time at 5 days.

Reached out to 7 professors of material sciences with cold email blasts who do research in corrosion/metalurgy. 1 got back to me.

He basically confirmed and gave me guidance with the tests I proposed. Gave two pieces of new information:

1) Possibly suggested Aluminum plating. But this is a bit tricky. I know this cant be done through elctroplating like Zinc. He told me to look into Siemens who do aluminum plating here in the states. My COGS might be sent a bit high if I can't have this process done in China.

2) He suggested to possibly build a porous network through the Sphere. This is very cool and haven't thought about it. Researching this now: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/28436.pdf
"The use of powdered metals as the starting
material for foam production offers the same types of advantages (and often the same
limitations) as conventional powder metallurgical processes. If a particular metal or alloy
can be pressed and sintered, there is a high likelihood that it can be made into a porous
metal or metal foam."

Because the neodynium magnets are sintered, seems likely there is a high likelihood that it can be made into a porous
metal or metal foam.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top