Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What do you think society should know about amateur science?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 06:50

You forgot learning how to evade Zombies playing Resident Evil. I'd be F'd if they paid attention.:D

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Sniffity
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 20:38

For me, it's kind of being able to experiment and increase my knowledge, without the formal constraints of a University lab.

Say, for instance, right now I'm crystalizing CuSO4, trying to improve the procedure in every single, small aspect. In a University Setting, I probably wouldn't be able to run 10+ crystallizations just for the sake of studying something in detail, specially not without a formal research project. This is perfectly reasonable: The University has to be careful where to spend its funds.

On a home lab I can easily do my own, personal research. I can run small experiments which woudln't really make it all the way to a research project. And hence I can greatly increase my knowledge and understanding of chemistry.

I'd also suggest mentioning how amateur science is SAFE when done right. I've never had a single accident in my Home Lab, because I always look out for safety. Try and dispell the "You're gonna wind up burning your house down" misconception.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top