Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Gases seperation (by gravity)
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by Oxirane  
If gases are miscible, how can Uranium hexafluoride be separated by high speed gas centrifuge? In this case, any gas with density difference could be concentrated using the same techniques?

Yes, in principle it could.

But you can tell how not-worthwhile it is, if you consider the enormous difficulties enrichening uranium.

This does not apply to liquids, I suppose? If we have water and alcohol mixture and we centrifuge it, there sould be no separation, shouldn't there?

It also applies to liquids, but the higher viscosity inhibits the effect of separation (that is weak for gases already). Put in another way: the potential created by rotational forces in an ultracentrifuge is only small compared to the disordering force caused by thermal motion.

An utracentrifuge is not a device you can create with your neighbour's lathe and some tubing from the junk yard.

[Edited on 14-10-2014 by Bezaleel]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 15:19

If gases are miscible, how can Uranium hexafluoride be separated by high speed gas centrifuge?

Gas centrifuges are actually complex and rather subtle systems that depend on differential thermal diffusion as well as the force gradient. Each gas centrifuge is itself a counter-current "cascade" - a good analogy can be drawn to fractional distillation columns were there are repeated constant condensation/evaporation cycles within the column magnifying separation.

And of course the "gee force" gradient in a gas centrifuge is on the order of 1000 gees. A thousand fold makes a difference.
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 16:16

Tidbit
"The vortex tube was invented in 1933 by French physicist Georges J. Ranque. German physicist Rudolf Hilsch improved the design and published a widely read paper in 1947 on the device, which he called a Wirbelrohr (literally, whirl pipe).[3] The vortex tube was used to separate gas mixtures, oxygen and nitrogen, carbon dioxide and helium, carbon dioxide and air in 1967 by Linderstrom-Lang."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube

Gas Separation in the Ranque-Hilsch Vortex tube
"The conclusion is reached that the centrifugation of the air, and only that, creates the gas separation detected in the outgoing streams."
http://orbit.dtu.dk/en/publications/gas-separation-in-the-ranquehilsch-vortex-tube(4746df63-077f-4f9e-9cc2-0fa50b6c7c5d).html

[Edited on 15-10-2014 by Morgan]
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 10:02

Indeed, but note that the Hilsch vortex tubes (and related devices) do not operate due to a pseudo-gravity field but rather involve the conservation of angular momentum among particles of different velocities or masses (depending on design and use).
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  

And of course the "gee force" gradient in a gas centrifuge is on the order of 1000 gees. A thousand fold makes a difference.

I think you are a few orders of magnitude off.
At a typical 90,000 rpm, assuming a rotor diameter of 5 cm, one gets 452,790 gees, almost half a million.
With a 10 cm rotor, you get 905580.

I have used 100,000 rpm centrifuges for biochemistry experiments in the past. Interesting thought I may have perhaps unknowingly gotten some isotope separation.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Quote: Originally posted by careysub  

I think you are a few orders of magnitude off.
At a typical 90,000 rpm, assuming a rotor diameter of 5 cm, one gets 452,790 gees, almost half a million.
With a 10 cm rotor, you get 905580.

I have used 100,000 rpm centrifuges for biochemistry experiments in the past. Interesting thought I may have perhaps unknowingly gotten some isotope separation.

Yeah, I didn't actually look up any specs or do calculations - I was dashing off a quick post in haste.

The original Kamenev centrifuge had a radius of 0.05 m and a peripheral velocity of 320 m/sec and so generated 200,000 Gs.

Without the temperature gradient and countercurrent circulation of the gas centrifuge you probably would get very slight isotope separation effects.
jock88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 11:12

Would you get Oxygen separating out from N at 1/2 a million gees. Surly yes.
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  

Would you get Oxygen separating out from N at 1/2 a million gees. Surly yes.

He would have been centrifuging a liquid, not a gas.

Evidence of isotope separation in liquids in an ultracentrifuge seems sparse, and sparsely studied>

Here, however is one paper on the subject. They centrifuged molten indium for 100 hours at 820,000 g's and found a small but detectable a shift in isotope concentrations between In-113 and In-115 from the bottom to the top.

Attachment: 2011_p089.pdf (401kB)
This file has been downloaded 385 times

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top