Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: extract antimony from HCl
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 14:57

Tomorrow I will be attempting to get the dihydrate SnCl2. The acidity is quite high so it should crystalize much more efficiently since it is extremely soluble in water, this should make the solubility of the SnCl2 not so high.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 10:11

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  
I now assume this liquid was antimony chloride.

No, it's concentrated SnCl2 solution. As C25 stated, it's very soluble in water and HCl. It just gets pretty viscous towards then end of the crystallisation.

It did that with mine, made from 99.9 % tin.

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 12:16

Excellent results. Stoichiometry calculations showed me that I could get my 0.19 moles of SnCl2 (deducted 10% from the Tin weight after weighing dry antimony powder) in 80mLs of soln down to 20mLs giving me a 9.5 Molarity, the soln is now at 35mLs so doing well, keep cooling it to check for precipiate then heating it again. The soln is now quite viscous, the perfect yellow tint colour. Anhydrous SnCl2 has a max molarity of 21M and the Dihydrate 12M. So if I reach 9.5M I think I will stop, since having the crystalized product will only mean that I will have to use more HCl to re-dissolve. I read that placing some tin into the air tight solution will prevent oxidation, but I do not think I need to do that with such a high acidic solution.
And yes I have 3.2 grams of antimony powder, have no idea what to do with it though, seems a bit toxic to go messing with from what I read.

[Edited on 24-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS25  
And yes I have 3.2 grams of antimony powder, have no idea what to do with it though, seems a bit toxic to go messing with from what I read.

[Edited on 24-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

Use it to demonstrate another feature that distinguishes tin from antimony. Sb(V) compounds oxidise iodide to iodine, Sn(IV) ones do not.

Dissolve the antimony in strong HCl + H2O2, then simmer to reduce volume by at least half, to drive off/destroy any remaining excess H2O2. This solution (essentially HSbCl<sub>6</sub> in HCl) will immediately cause iodine to form from iodide solutions. As said, Sn (IV) doesn't do that...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top