Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17
Author: Subject: Det Cap Strategies
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2024 at 15:44

I HAD one of those... and I accidentally broke it today! I will be buying another one to replace it.

And yes, I'll be working towards finding the minimal foil. This is for the steel caps (and later the aluminum tube when it arrives). For now I will focus on processing my shell casings. Punching out the primer is harder than I thought, since I don't have reloading tools (yet). So I drilled through the back. I noticed that the 7.62x39mm is MUCH thicker than the 5.56x45mm! I broke a drill bit in the process! Another tool to replace! :D

Quote:
Well done on the tests so far, what was the mass of EM in each of your test caps?

I'm actually quite proud of my latest test overall. If the new mostly bottomless steel caps can exceed that, then I think I would have achieved my goal of making a blasting cap that is on par with the commercial or military caps. When I read the Improvised Munitions Handbook section on detonators (and I should have memorized it better, since it had some information that could have made my life much easier) the warning at the end really captivated me 'Detonator has considerably more power than a military blasting cap and should be handled carefully'. I don't know why, but just that made me really, really want it! :D
UndermineBriarEverglade
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2024 at 23:57

First cap. 7mm aluminum tube closed with foil. 250mg of ETN hand pressed to 1g/cm3 (:(), plus 50mg loose, detonated with EBW. 1mm steel plate. Bucket of cat litter worked well to muffle sound. I guess I should increase the charge amount?

before.jpg - 224kB hole.jpg - 581kB

after.jpg - 389kB
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 15-8-2024 at 08:55

Definitely increase the amount. I would add a third layer of ~500 mg ETN pressed or cast to high density. I used 500 mg melt cast because pressing to high density in thin aluminum tubes can cause them to deform. I also figured it would help seal the end of the tube.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2024 at 17:10

I feel jealous! That is actually quite impressive for a first time cap. I wish I could have had that kind of result early on!

That being said, I will concur with Sir_Gawain about melt-casting ETN. When you melt-cast powdered ETN and grind it back up again, it is of much higher density and you will see markedly improved results from similar weights.

For me I am going to make another 10 detonators to test for next time. This time I hope it will be finally... FINALLY the time when I succeed. I will do 4 steel bodies, all with the ends cut off, but 2 will have just electrical tape at the end to seal the other side (and only one layer) and the other 2 will have some foiled pressed and some tape to hold that in place. the foil isn't 100% unpushable, but it does need a thwack to get it loose. I hope that still provides the same purpose as foil.

The other 4 detonators will be 2 5.56x45mm/.223 and 2 7.62x39mm cases all processed as per the Improvised Munitions Handbook. Deprimed and drilled from the back, so the explosive train will start from the hardest and end in the softest. I will have one of each kind sealed with some foil and crimped mildly to hold it in place and taped, the other two will just be taped.

The final 2 will be made from the aluminum tube I ordered (which hasn't arrived yet). One with some foil and tape at the end and the other with just tape.

All loadings will be 1g of pressed ETN and 0.3g of 1:1 ETN:NHN mix as usual.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: old jew

[*] posted on 15-8-2024 at 23:08

Finally I see pictures with entire assemble with tube. Good work with EBW. On picture is see damage of aluminium cavity. According all is it
full detonation 250 mg ETN. Damage of 1 mm of steel plate is little bit weak, but it can be cause aluminium tube. If should by the tube from steel, the hole in 1 mm steel would by bigger and rouded. Inner diameter is 7 mm ? 250 mg in inner diameter 7 mm is too small. This diameter require minimal 400 mg of ETN for output segment. ETN should by form a square height...:cool:

trash.jpg - 143kB

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17

Go To Top