Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silicon Powder Via Al/Sn Alloy
knowledgevschaos
Harmless

Mood: Hungry for information

[*] posted on 27-8-2024 at 18:46
Silicon Powder Via Al/Sn Alloy

The other day I was looking at a video of someone melting aluminium with copper, creating the brittle intermetallic CuAl2. I had the idea that a brittle aluminium alloy can be made by alloying it with other metals, which can easily be crushed into aluminium powder, as long as impurities of other metals aren't an issue (I'm pretty sure this is what they do with magnalium, but I don't have the balls to alloy this myself, considering what magnesium does when set on fire)

While researching an aluminium - tin alloy, I came across this document
Here's what it says:

Quote:

Aluminium and tin may be melted together in all proportions to give uniform fluid mixtures. The melting cannot be done in the ordinary fireclay or plumbago crucibles, since the admixture of tin appears to increase greatly the power which aluminium has to reduce the silicates of fireclay, the reduced silicon becoming absorbed in the body of the metal. In our earlier experiments on these alloys we learned that, even with careful melting at a temperature not higher than about 750° C., it was impossible to prevent this rapid reduction of silicon. In a few minutes the alloys became badly contaminated with the m etalloid; in one instance as much as 11 per cent., partly crystalline and partly amorphous, was found in the cooled ingot.

The idea is that an aluminium tin alloy can be melted in a steel crucible with sand or another form of silica, and the silicon will be reduced and dissolve in the mixture. Then an ingot is cast from it, which can be dissolved in acid. Aluminium and tin should dissolve, leaving behind finely powdered silicon which is resistant to acid.

Is this plausible? Is there even any use for finely divided silicon?
Thanks.

Know thy incompatibilities
Precipitates
Hazard to Others

Mood: Acid hungry

[*] posted on 27-8-2024 at 23:06

In theory, but aluminium and sand thermite is probably an easier route to elemental silicon:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17900

Lots of videos on YouTube. One example:

Make Thermite out of Sand

This reaction is also detailed on the Silicon sciencemadness wiki page, with possible silicon-related projects. If you look up the suggestions there will be lots of threads.

You could try making silicone:

silicon -> copper silicide -> dimethyldichlorosilane -> silicone

i.e.,. silicon to silicone :D
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Most of the ducks are in a row

[*] posted on 28-8-2024 at 04:00

Aaah. A video from MrHomeScientist.
It was his thermite videos that led me to his blog and then to this board.
I am very grateful!

On topic. I suspect the route you suggest will lead to an impure product.
If the alloy formed contains grains of true intermetallic species, then these will either not dissolve or will dissolve fully, not producing solid elemental silicon.
OTOH, if it contains grains of a silicon alloy, then after acid treatment it is likely to contain tin/aluminium within the crystal lattice as well as pockets of material that was not reached by the acid.
averageaussie
Hazard to Self

Mood: school :(

[*] posted on 2-9-2024 at 15:39

Quote: Originally posted by knowledgevschaos  

Is this plausible? Is there even any use for finely divided silicon?
Thanks.

Magnesium silicide, used to make silane

Go To Top