Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is urea hydrochloride adduct real?
ReconRabbit
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2024 at 04:04
Is urea hydrochloride adduct real?

I got into something of an argument with some Wikipedia editors recently over the existence of urea hydrochloride. There is plenty of evidence, crystallographic and otherwise, that there exists the protonated forms of urea nitrate, sulfate, and phosphate, but there is very little information about urea hydrochloride/chlorate. The most recent document I can find is from 1936 regarding synthesis and it is very vague about the identity of the product: https://doi.org/10.1021%2Fie50317a003

I am considering trying to do a titration but don't know how I would do a good analysis of any solid that came out of it. Is this compound real? Would you just get ammonium chloride and carbon dioxide from a reaction between urea and HCl?
Precipitates
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-7-2024 at 08:00

Yes.

From this patent:

"Preparation of Urea Hydrochloride

Urea is weakly basic, forming salts with strong acids. Urea hydrochloride is a salt formed from the simple mixture of urea with hydrochloric acid. Common urea hydrochloride salts include the 1:1 urea to hydrochloric acid salt (CAS 506-89-8), and the 1:2 urea to hydrochloric acid salt. The 1:1 urea hydrochloric acid salt is sold by Esprit Chemical Company (Rockland, Mass.). Any desired ratio of urea to hydrochloric acid that performs the desired function can be prepared by simply mixing the appropriate ratios of components, typically in water. The mixing of urea with hydrochloric acid typically results in a slight exotherm that should be handled with care."

The patent goes on to provide further details, and give examples of ways to prepare the salt.
ReconRabbit
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2024 at 12:07

I found that specific patent and others contemporaneous with it. Was told that patents are "poor sources" and that the procedures are never actually tested. As if there weren't dozens of household and commercial mixtures that list "urea hydrochloride" as an active component on their safety data sheets and the chemical is a restricted medical substance under several state regulations.

[Edited on 11-7-2024 by ReconRabbit]
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy (again)

[*] posted on 11-7-2024 at 14:21

More stuff:

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?

Go To Top