Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Repair of broken drain of reactor
Bubbles
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-6-2024 at 13:24
Repair of broken drain of reactor

Since a few weeks I am the proud owner of a small jacketed reactor. The excellent stirring and temperature control as well as its functioning as a separatory funnel make life easier and more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, part of the drain valve of the reactor has broken after just a few uses. See picture. After the reaction it had snapped, I don't know why.

I contacted the vendor for a replacement piece, but this might take a while.

Ideally I can repair it for the meantime. My first thought was cyanoacrylate glue, but I found out that this actually has really poor chemical resistance.
Any other glue that might work?
It would ideally withstand IPA/base at temperatures up to 80C.
But even if it just withstands simple alcohols as methanol/ethanol/IPA at cold and slightly elevated temperatures, I can move forward.

Alternatively, I would look for a way to plug the hole in the bottom and siphon the reaction mixture out instead of using it as a sep funnel.
But idk how to do this with a materials that can withstand chemicals and is possible to remove later.

Any ideas?

2024-06-26 16.57.55.jpg - 5MB
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 26-6-2024 at 13:59

That's most likely PTFE, good luck finding a glue for that. I would wait for the replacement part rather than risk damaging the reactor.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

Mood: 76 elements taken!

[*] posted on 26-6-2024 at 16:55

Can you post a pic of the reactor? I'm having trouble visualizing the design. Is that burned glue on the broken faces? Hard to tell the scale of the thing, but you might be able to drill two vertical holes and tap the holes, so that two long screws would hold the parts together. You'd still have to fill the cracks with some JBweld, epoxy, or something, for it to be of use as a sep funnel again. I know of nothing that sticks to PTFE, though, if PTFE it be. If you can't tell, you could do a water displacement density test...

Alternatively, it looks relatively simply machined. You could buy some PTFE bar stock and take it to your local machine shop or technology center, and ask if they could turn it for you.

Finally, you might be able to 3D print a replacement part, since your temp/chem resistance requirements aren't too steep. If you aren't versed in 3D modeling, I could help with the design.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2024 at 17:49

I would ask the company that made the reactor. The parts should be available. It looks similar to the Chemglass type drain plug, but not sure. But that will be the simplest solution, as you cannot repair PTFE once it breaks. No glue will stick to it. You might be able to find the part on Ebay, but not likely.

Go To Top