Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Leaching Lithium and others from Liion battery
RU_KLO
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2022 at 13:45
Leaching Lithium and others from Liion battery

Hi,

Im trying to leach diferent metals (Li, Mn, Co, Ni) from Li-ion battery as learning process. -

Im new, so expect a lot of questions, and not very technical wording.

After watching some videos on YT, which didnt get whats expected, Thoisoi2 was the one I will try to follow.

There is a paper, which it seems right, but do not have all the reagents needed, and some are very difficult for me to make.
(the paper "Recovery of valuable metals from mixed spent lithium-ion batteries by multi-step directional precipitation†" (RSC Advances Journal Issue 1, 2021)

this is whats done:

1) disasembled a battery (start small)
2) only use cathode (aluminum foil covered with oxides)
here, I separate the method for obtaining the oxides, because I do not want Na+ contamination:

2.1) rinsed 2 times with dH20 and scrapped the oxides. sieve to remove parts of scrapped aluminuim (this was held in a flask. ph ~6).
This is not continued yet. (waiting for 2.2 to check how it proceeded)

2.2) left over aluminium + left over oxides _ added 1 Mol NAOH, in 24hs - probably before - the aluminium was gone. Washed 2 times and place in a beaker

(From here I will continue on 2.2)

added some dH2O, the solution was basic ph 10-13, meaning that
a) there are some Hydroxides or some NaOH was left.

then added 4.4 Mol H2So4 - (car battery 33% acid) and stirred.
added 3 or 4 drops H2O2 (30% - 100Vol) . Bubbling started.
after 10 min bubbling ended. made a water bath - 70° and keep stirring.

(NOTE: I do not own a heated magnetic stirrer- yet, used a 12V fan with magnet. and for heating, a water bath)

This was left for 30 min. Note that water got to room temperature, like a tea.

After filtering a clear Pink solution was obtained. Black "stuff" was left in the funnel.

I expect to have sulphates : Li, Mn, Co, Na, Ni

From a previous experiment I know that Pink is probably MnSO4.
Here is where I stand now.

So now the "multi step separation begins"

1) Mn should be leached first. MnSO4 should be converted in MnO2.
Paper asks for (NH4)2S2O8 (Amonium persulfate). Of course I do not have it, but could get some in a near future because its sold as etchand/bleaching hair product in a ebay like webpage (Mercado Libre)

Is there another way to convert MnSO4 to MnO2? (without affecting the other salts (I know heating is a way, but this is for solid MnSO4.)

Will H2O2 do the job?

2) Ni is next step, and here the problem begins, because of no getting: Dimethylglyoxime (DMG).
Is there another way to precipitate Ni. (or how to remove/convert NiSO4)

3) next step is Co. Here it seems I need to rise PH to 10. Na2CO3 is used in last step to retrieve Li, So I think it could also be used to rise the ph.

or maybe there is another method to separate/convert the diferent sulphates to leach the metals/salts.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Go To Top