Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odda process question
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 19-11-2005 at 13:09
Odda process question

General information... My local source of Ammonium Nitrate dried up so I am considering a modifcation to this method. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odda_Process

As you can see Ca(NO3)2 + 2 NH3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NH4NO3 + CaCO3

Questions: I was wondering if Urea fertilizer could be subsituted in place of ammonia and co2 with a little extra water(will it work or not)? Would urea subsitution result in same or less yeilds?

Other: I have a feeling the hydrolizsis(sp) of urea would take a long time(so CO(NH2)2 + H2O --> CO2 + 2NH3). Using ammonia and co2 would probably be "smarter" however urea is in powder form making storage a hell of a lot easier. Ie no heavy ass tanks of gas. I have urea at the moment but I do not have Calcium Nitrate that is why I am asking these questions. I don't want to end up with a one ton papper weight:D

Econmics: I am aware that some websites sell ammonium nitrate (pyrotech and firefox) but at high prices 4.60 a pound. I can aquire urea and calcium nitrate in bulk easy and cheap too.

Sorry if this seems a bit kewlish to you but i am a cheap son of a bitch and I am all ears if there are any other easy/better methods out their.

[Edited on 19-11-2005 by DeAdFX]
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 19-11-2005 at 15:35

I think peaceful valley farm supply might still sell ammonium nitrate to individuals...

I know they sell a brand of manganese sulfate called techmangan (useful for making benzaldehyde) 22.7 kilograms for $32 and some change... it costs more to ship it though than its worth, lol.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 19-11-2005 at 17:05

Hmm ok thanks but Im not to hyped on shipping :rolleyes:

Ill see if my school as a few grams of calcium nitrate. I dont know what CN looks like but I'll assume it's a white powder just like AN. Would PH be the best way of determining if I have ammonium nitrate? How about releasing ammonia by using Sodium hydroxide? WOuld that be another option?

Urease also would help decompose the urea but I wonder if the calcium/nitrate/ammonium ions would interfer.

Go To Top