Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Enthaphy calculations for oxidation and reduction reactions
ADP
Hazard to Others

Mood: Productive

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 17:30
Enthaphy calculations for oxidation and reduction reactions

Hello I was curious to the method of calculating the kJ of energy produced by the flash reaction (redox):
3KClO4 + 8Al --> 3KCl + 4Al2O3

Do I need to know enthalpy of formation or something? Thanks for the help. Also I didn't think this fit in 'beginnings" or does it? I'll move if nessecary.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2005 at 12:28

formation enthalpy of products minus formation enthalpy of reagents.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
ADP
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-10-2005 at 13:22

In the equation:
3KClO4 + 8Al --> 3KCl + 4Al2O3 + energy (heat + light)
- Wouldn't enthapy only give me the heat energy of that reaction? ( Light is given also )
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 20-10-2005 at 14:10

Enthalpy calculations will tell you the amount of heat released during the reaction. This includes thermal and radiant energy. There is no simple way of determining the amount of each.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 21-10-2005 at 12:54

Radiant energy output is directly related to thermal output as it is caused by excited atoms/ions/molecules.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2005 at 19:13

I'm assuming that he wants to calculate the amounts of radiant vs. thermal energy released in the combustion of a sample of flash powder under a certain set of conditions. Wouldn’t this depend on more complex factors like geometry, casing, and so forth?
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 22-10-2005 at 04:54

Well, modeling the flame as a sphere and using emission values for Al2O3, Wiens law, etc, will get you a good guess of the wavelengths and the energy output.

neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2005 at 06:35

Fair enough. It really depends on how accurate he wants his results to be.
ADP
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-10-2005 at 07:22

Well actually my plans are to do a chem class demo with a two gram sample of stoichiometricly correct flash powder. What I want to do is to determine how much energy is released along with the reaction.

Using enthalpy I would assume that would only calculate total heat energy as opposed to total energy all together (heat + light). Finding only heat energy released would be fine.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-10-2005 at 08:17

Enthalpy is not the "total heat energy" (unless one performs the reaction at zero Kelvins). I think what you are looking for is the Gibbs free energy which gives you the energy that a reaction can release at the given temperature. To calculate it you would need to know the entropy change of the reaction.

Light emited or radiant heat is the consequence of high temperature reached during the reaction and is thus part of the heat energy released (as Neutrino and Vulture already explained). It is already included in the Gibbs energy.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
ADP
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-10-2005 at 21:44

Ahh I see so I would use the delta G<sub>f</sub><sup>o</sup> values that are in the CRC handbook along with the Gibb's equation? I'm guessing this would determine total heat energy of reaction.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2011 at 06:05

Quote: Originally posted by ADP  
Ahh I see so I would use the delta G<sub>f</sub><sup>o</sup> values that are in the CRC handbook along with the Gibb's equation? I'm guessing this would determine total heat energy of reaction.

Apart from the CRC handbook, the NIST Web Book lists countless values for Heat of Formation, heat capacity and Entropy at various temperatures, for large numbers of pure substances:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/form-ser.html

(input chemical formula to initiate search, then choose 'condensed phase data')

I had a quick peek and KClO4, KCl and Al2O3 are all represented, if you want to calculate the change in Gibbs Free Energy (ΔG) and Reaction Enthalpy (ΔH) for this particular reaction.

Go To Top