Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NaClO3 production via hypochlorites
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

shocked.gif posted on 7-9-2005 at 13:18
NaClO3 production via hypochlorites

Hallo to all,
I've got the idea to produce some NaClO3 via an electrolytic cell, but getting no equipment to maintain cell temp. high enough to decomposition on NaClO to NaClO3, i've done this:
1- prepared a conc. solution of NaCl (49gr. in 140 ml water)
2- passing 9 volts current in the electrolyte using inoxidable steel electrodes for 24h (when seeing dark yellow due to high conc. of NaClO)
3- boling the electrolyte waiting to become non-color (losing NaClO yellowish) and getting some water go out as steam (vapor)
4- filtering the NaCl precipited in solution
5- adding a little NaCl to the solution (which contains now NaClO3) and passing 9 volts current again.

Now, is correct what i've done to get more NaClO3 in the electrolyte? Or must i use to precipitate KClO3 out of the solution adding KCl (i can't get it from chemical companies, so i can't buy it).

Please help me adding any information which helps!
Thanks at all for help! ;)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 16:25

Quote:
Originally posted by kazaa81
Hallo to all,
I've got the idea to produce some NaClO3 via an electrolytic cell, but getting no equipment to maintain cell temp. high enough to decomposition on NaClO to NaClO3, i've done this:
1- prepared a conc. solution of NaCl (49gr. in 140 ml water)
2- passing 9 volts current

Volts current wtf?

9V is too much, you'll get chlorine gas, pH will rise very quickly, efficiency will be horrible, and we will mock you. (To paraphrase a professor I had.)

Quote:
in the electrolyte using inoxidable steel electrodes

Wtf x 2? You absolutely HAVE TO USE chemically resistant electrodes like graphite, platinum or lead dioxide, for the anode.

If you meant JUST the cathode, then yes, steel is suitable. It will disappear in short order as the anode.

Quote:
for 24h (when seeing dark yellow due to high conc. of NaClO)

If you're using iron the yellow is probably rust!

Quote:
3- boling the electrolyte waiting to become non-color (losing NaClO yellowish) and getting some water go out as steam (vapor)
4- filtering the NaCl precipited in solution
5- adding a little NaCl to the solution (which contains now NaClO3) and passing 9 volts current again.

Why do you need to boil it down enough to precipitate NaCl, then you go and add more? I don't get it.

If you have a hotplate, set the cell on that. It'll maintain electrolyte temp while it runs.

Quote:
Now, is correct what i've done to get more NaClO3 in the electrolyte? Or must i use to precipitate KClO3 out of the solution adding KCl (i can't get it from chemical companies, so i can't buy it).

You can have as much NaClO3 in solution as you want, all that matters is the chloride level stays above 10%.

Tim

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 18:27

Please Kazaa,
you've been here long enough to know that you are expected to search before you post.
I just did, and there are at least 80 threads that contain 'NaClO3', and the google function gives 500 threads containing the words 'sodium chlorate electrolysis'.
Why don't you post in a thread of your choice, after you've read what there's to read?

PS 12AX please mind your tone. Funny me telling you this as you always were one to criticise others on their tone.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top