Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Acetate reactions with other acids & decomposition
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 11:39
Copper Acetate reactions with other acids & decomposition

I was wondering what would happen if H2SO4 was added to copper acetate and if the concentration of H2SO4 would make a difference in the reaction. Also, what would happen with other acids like HCl, nitric and oxalic acid. I've found very little information on copper oxalate so I don't know how it can be formed.

It seems that copper acetate has a fairly low destructive decomposition temp relative to other copper salts at a temp of roughly 460F. I'm curious as to what is left behind whether it is CuO or Cu2O or some other oxide.

When the copper acetate decomposes, what is liberated as gas? It smells like vinegar so I'm wondering if it is the same gases as when vinegar, or acetic acid is boiled, and what are those gases? Can they be condensed back into Acetic Acid?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
28-10-2016 at 11:46
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 11:54

If you're decomposing hydrated copper(II) acetate, I would expect that you'd get acetic acid and copper(II) oxide, so you could possibly get acetic acid from that. You might also get other crud.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 12:11

The exact reaction schemes and decomposition products of the destructive heating of copper acetate are somewhat controversial (Lin, Han, and Li 2012, and references therein) but appear to include finely divided metallic copper, copper oxides, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and low molecular weight organic volatiles such as acetic acid and acetone.

(see also exhibit C in this challenge :D )

Lin, Z., Han, D., & Li, S. (2012). Study on thermal decomposition of copper(II) acetate monohydrate in air. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 107, 471–475. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-011-1454-4

Attachment: Study on thermal decomposition of copper(II) acetate monohydrate in air.pdf (563kB)
This file has been downloaded 483 times

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 16:48

Just DO it, and see what happens!
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 17:31

I remember some members a few years ago (myself included) tried to make acetic anhydride by heating anhydrous copper(ii) acetate. I'm pretty sure it's in the master acetic anhydride thread. I don't think anybody got it to work, however.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com

Go To Top