Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Make copper nitrate from copper and sodium nitrate
chbarros
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 12:47
Make copper nitrate from copper and sodium nitrate

Hi every one! I'm new on this, so I'm sorry for my english or my lack of experience.
I maneged to do Cu(NO3)2 by a electrolytic way, using a solution of sodium nitrate in a divided cell.
I puted 60g of NaNO3 in 180ml of water then I used a small clay pot (homemade with a piece of brick ) inside a glass becker. I used a graphite rod as cathode(clay pot) and a copper wire as anode(becker).
1 - In the first experiment i puted equal amounts of the solution inside the clay pot and the becker.
2 - In the second experiment i puted the solution in the becker and just water in the clay pot.
The voltage was 24v
The problem is that after a while, a black substance started to form on the outside wall of the clay pot in the second experiment. I Know it is copper oxide that formed after the thermal decomposition of copper hydroxide.
I want to know with there is a limit to do the electrolysis, and if this limit is the concentration in both ,clay pot and becker. And if the second experiment is more advisible then the first one.

Go To Top