Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternate method for isolating sodium metal?
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 17:53
Alternate method for isolating sodium metal?

Most methods for isolating sodium metal I see are by electrolyzing molten sodium hydroxide. But why sodium hydroxide and not some other sodium salt with a lower melting point? Take sodium bisulfate, for example. At such a low temperature, you could melt the salt under mineral oil without the mineral oil even getting close to boiling. That way the sodium metal generated could go without ever being exposed to air. Similar things could be done for other reactive metals as well, simply finding a low-melting salt containing the metal and melting it under mineral oil.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 18:35

Sodium hydroxide is used because it is one of the lowest melting, non-acidic, sodium salts. Electrolysis of molten sodium bisulfate wouldn't yield any sodium metal because the anhydrous material doesn't melt at 59°C, the monohydrate does. Thus, any metal formed would instantly react with the water to form sodium hydroxide. Anhydrous sodium bisulfate doesn't melt, rather it decomposes to sodium pyrosulfate at around 315°C. Sodium metal would also likely react with any molten sodium salt that had an acidic anion.

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 19:06

The only salt I can find then that doesn't exist as a hydrate and has a reasonably low melting point is sodium thiocyanate. But I'm guessing the thiocyanate anion will be too acidic as well?
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 23:20

I think you might just have a 'surprise' form on the anode with sodium thiocyanate.

The beauty of sodium hydroxide is its low cost, low m.p. and availability. If you want a lower melting point, then you can use a eutectic of sodium and potassium hydroxide, already mentioned elsewhere on SM, though you'd probably form a liquid 'NaK'.

[Edited on 21-9-2015 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 09:55

I know that dangerous products can evolve on the anode, so I would keep the electrodes in separate vessels connected with a salt bridge. I would also make sure that the system is well-ventilated.

I suggested thiocyanate because its melting point is below the boiling point of parrafin oil, in hopes to keep the metal from ever being exposed to air. I have also found that sodium chlorate has quite a low melting point as well.
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 10:19

I would't melt sodium chlorate with paraffin oil.

Any other SF Bay chemists?

Go To Top