Printable Version  
Author: Subject: options filtering nicotine out of smoke? experiment
insan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 14:08
options filtering nicotine out of smoke? experiment

hi.

im searching for ways to filter out nicotine out of my sigaret smoke.
and leave as much as everyting else in it.
so trying to find a way to inhale the smoke without the nicotine as experiment.

i have no idea about a ways to do this.
what i understand nicotine in sigarets is in a salt form not in its freebase.
so maybe there is a way to filter the smoke past a solvent/solution that disolves the nicotine.
likely a solvent that has extreme high solubilty for nicotine but i have no idea of Chemistry so have no idea how or where to search.
what i read nicotine in it soluble in polar solutions.
but smoking with a waterpipe only removes 5% of the nicotine.
so its not a good idea.
how to find the best solvent and one that will cause no harm.

another idea is maybe something to bind or destroy the nicotine.
i know nicotine can be oxidized but there will likely be other stuff in the smoke that will became harmfull by trying to do this.
nicotine gets destroyed by uv light.but less then seconds exposure will have no impact i think.

so i'm not getting far with this experiment.

sorry if my english is bad its not my main language.
if anyone has good idea's for this experiment.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 02:13

according to wikipedia, nicotine is soluble in ethanol, so you could try,
1) bubbling the smoke through alcohol
2) soak tobacco in alcohol, dry by evaporation, smoke.

I'd go for #2
but I'm pretty sure that more than just the nicotine would be dissolved into the alcohol, tars for example.
Everything not in the smoke will be in the alcohol ... part two of the experiment ;)

[Edited on 13-9-2015 by Sulaiman]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 06:37

You could do a classic alkaloid extraction of tobacco and then recombine all the things that were not alkaloids. that would take a lot of messing about, but it would sort of work.
Why bother?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 06:55

This seems odd. Most people smoke in order to get the nicotine.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 07:10

Isnt nicotine one of the least harmful bits in a cig? I know its addictive but health wise arnt there many more dangerous things in them? I thought that was vape things were being used...........I dunno as I dont smoke but seems a bit odd, alot like taking alcohol out of a alcoholic drink (dont worry aga not your drink).

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
insan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 09:59

it seems odd indeed but the addiction of sigaretts is also a habbit.
maybe by removing the nictone and leaving as much intact the habbit becomes less intresting.
i know it is easyer to remove before it is smoke.

what i read it is more soluble in water then alcohols.
maybe by filling the water with activated coal.
it seems to absorb nicotine and a solid will work to make smaller bubbels and better absorbtion in the water.

destroying nicotine maybe by a low concentrated solution of h2o2.but this seems me dangerous because not knowing what reactions take place and compounds are formed.so not even gonna try it.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 10:36

what would be the point of removing the only useful part to gain access to only the carcinogens? that is the opposite of say chewing the gum. you get nicotine and no black lungs. and as such you can step down the amount over time to no nicotine.

there are also herbal blends you can roll-your-own to make fake death sticks. still feels like you are smoking( b/c you are), but no nicotine. things like mint, sage etc. ( don't ask I work near a bunch of hippies ) any how they would mix it up and carry around the bag like a pouch of tobacco, and roll up one when the urge hit. also if you are having a tough time, a pinch of real tobacco in the mix would settle down a sever craving.

oddly enough, I am quitting chewing tobacco, with a store-bought alternative. it's just corn silk that has been dyed and flavored. mint and hot pepper. the mint is for the wintergreen flavor, and the pepper makes it sting like the real stuff. not bad.

back to the smoking. I have seen several packs of clear plastic filters you put on a standard cigarette. 3 different grades. one only robs a little of your smoke, the next takes a bunch of it out, and the last one just gives you a dribble of tainted air with each puff. they really do showcase how much tar is in each cigarette. almost turn your stomach to think you were putting that in your lungs like 95 times a day. like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tarblock-Cigarette-Filters/dp/B000HCXY...

just seeing that will make you think twice about what you are doing to your self...
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 11:40

Ah I see you want to break the habit! Try vaping, my mum gave up with that (electronic cigs). You can get home brew recipes to fill the cigs up with, the idea would be to reduce the amount of nicotine over time. She was told they are also generally safer than normal cigs, but using them gives you a safe and effective way to reduce the nicotine as needed. Otherwise you will go from full nicotine to no nicotine, doing that you might as well just use a patch!
A guy on another forum I use (photography) had smoked >50 years and went for 4 sessions of hypnotherapy, he hasnt had or wanted a cig in 5 months now.

GOOD LUCK
if your giving up, its a good thing to do

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 04:00

The tobacco industry has beaten you to it (http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/13/4/362.full.pdf)
There are several denicotinized cigarettes available on the market.

Quest cigarettes (Vector Tobacco) are made with genetically altered tobacco plants.
Bravo Smokes are made from lettuce, rather than tobacco.

There may be others.

However, for what my advice as a non-smoker is worth, I suspect smoking in order to quit smoking may not be the best approach.
You are still getting all the toxicants. Some of the herb type cigarettes need to be puffed more often to stay lit, so you may even be inhaling more bad stuff.
Smokers generally try to get their nicotine fix. Smoking light cigarettes usually leads to smoking more cigarettes to compensate. So, following that reasoning, you may want to try -increasing- your nicotine intake, rather than lowering it. Use patches, gum, etc. Don't necessarily try to stop completely for now, just use Nicotine-replacement devices in addition to smoking and you may find you smoke less.

[Edited on 14-9-2015 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
insan
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 06:46

in the past i tried to quit with a lot approaches.
nicotine patches,gums,champix,tabix,other stuff that works similair to nicotine on the brain like different nicotine agonists that closely mimic the neurologal effects of nicotine.
still it doesnt work great.so i found out that my addiction is more psychological than Physical.
best approach whas for me selective nicotine antagonists.
when you quit these receptors are downregulation and probably lowerd acetylcholine in the brain because of over stimulation by the nicotine.
the withdrawal is hell but a lot shorter.
but nicotine withdrawal is overrated the psychological aspect is worse.

i know the industurie has ways on paper on how to remove it.
but the filters on the marked today claim to remove nicotine but but only removes most tar and lower nicotine.

electronic sigarets are maybe an idea i never tried.

extracting the nicotine out of Tobacco before it is smoked is an idea i maybe will try but not ideal if i dont have them on me in a relapse period.
so thinq a filter would help me more if it doesnt effect the taste.

so what i came op with:
charcoal removes to much and effect the taste.
zeolites are maybe an option.
oxidation has to large impact on the taste.
have found way to attack the nicotine partialy.
and maybe a new option trying to freebase nicotine in smoke and binding it back to a salt that has a higher boiling temperature then the Salts original in the smoke.with the hope that the binding will trap nictone and the new salt crashes easyer in the filter.

Go To Top