Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Titanyl Sulfate
Porphyrin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 12:08
Titanyl Sulfate

I'm having trouble making Titanyl Sulfate (TiOSO4) using Titanium dioxide powder and conc. H2SO4. I have tried heating and stirring in order to obtain a clear solution (described in the attached paper) but I still have a white suspension of (presumably) TiO2.

I have also tried etching the TiO2 powder with HF under the assumption it was calcinated at a high temperature and thus had a less reactive surface. This resulted in a blue tinted solution containing Ti(III) ions. When conc. sulfuric acid was added it turned back to a white suspension.

The conc. sulfuric acid was 98% and use in excess, so what could be wrong? There is very little that I could find on the synthesis of TiOSO4 itself, so I was wondering if you guys might be able to help.

Thanks!

Attachment: Synth TiOSO4 and TiO2 sol gel.pdf (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 330 times

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 13:29

Have a look at this:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26676&...

Preparing even quite concentrated solutions of titanyl sulphate from Ti powder and conc. H2SO4 is possible but not easy.

TiO2 is often very, very insoluble. First hand experience, BTW...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by blogfast25]

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 14:29

Yeah, the usual pottery-grade TiO2 is really insoluble. One way to work around this without HF is to dissolve it in a molten salt. I did this here when making solar cells a while back, and it worked pretty well. The TiO2 can be precipitated back out and washed, and then processed further as desired. The freshly precipitated powder is much easier to work with, and should be a good starting point to get the results blogfast25 mentioned.

Go To Top