Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question on Strong acid concentartion
Madchemyst
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 10:08
Question on Strong acid concentartion

Hi all,
I am just starting to get back into chemistry. It has been quite a while but the more I am getting into it the more I am enjoying it. I have been reading and studying as much as playing and have a question. The question I have is why would you dilute a strong acid verses just using it concentrated? Is it a cost thing or a technical thing to make more Hydronium ions available? If that is even correct? If it is a technical thing how do you know which to use and what dilution? Thanks for any help and this is a great place to learn stuff....
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 10:57

It depends on what you're doing. Tests and chemical analysis usually can be done with very dilute reagents, while practical chemistry and chemical synthesis are better suited with concentrated reagents because then you don't have to boil off as much water etc.
With very concentrated mineral acids like 98% sulfuric and 99% nitric acids there are very few actual hydronium ions because there's not enough water to get protonated. This is rarely an issue because in a reaction the water is regerorated as the substance is being protonated.
It also depends on your' definition of concentrated and dilute.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 11:14

Welcome to Sciencemadness

Another reason to use a dilute acid rather than a concentrated acid is as follows : Let's say that the desired product is a simple inorganic salt, for example barium chloride. Adding concentrated hydrochloric acid to solid barium carbonate won't work well. Since there isn't enough water, eventually the reaction will slow down or cease as the barium carbonate particles get coated in a layer of barium chloride which is unreactive towards the acid and prevents further attack on the barium carbonate. If the acid is dilute enough however, the barium chloride product will dissolve in the water and the reaction will proceed vigorously. Here's an example from woelen, one of our moderators, illustrating this.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 12:09

And if you need ten millimoles of acid, it's far easier to measure out ten mL of 1.0 M acid than 0.8 mL of concentrated HCl.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Madchemyst
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 15:01

Thanks so much for the replies and for the link gdflp. I will be trying this. Like so many things in life, nothing is simple. As the saying goes, experience is the best teacher, along with folks willing to take their time to help.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 15:07

Quote: Originally posted by Madchemyst  
As the saying goes, experience is the best teacher, along with folks willing to take their time to help.

The wisest people learn from other people's mistakes.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 15:26

... as well as their own.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 16:35

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
... as well as their own.
Heh. I must be wise then.
I make enough mistakes.
Some of them in full view of others.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 16:58

One of the big mistakes I made early on with concentrated solutions was trying to use the most concentrated solution possible to affect a precipitation. The issue there is that the first bit of material immediately starts crashing out material, you end up with something called occlusion where you end up trapping acid or reagent within the crystals, sometimes you end up making an amorphous blob instead of good looking crystals. Simply put, as many others have said above, it depends on what you are doing.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Madchemyst
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 03:20

The main reason for the question is I want to learn chemistry not just do cookbook experiments. However, in doing experiments from books, sometimes it states to use Conc. HCl or add 10 ml of 1.0M HCL to water...etc. So I could not figure out why you would use one over the other. I started reading more about acid -bases and although I now understand enough to know how much I don't understand, I still did not see the answer. It really is a puzzle to say this is what I want and this is how I manipulate those little buggers we call atoms to get something else......... I have been reading a text book to learn the theory, using the "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments" to learn technique and using the The Golden Book Of Chemistry Experiments to learn some of the basic properties and reactions of elements. Any suggestions to this approach or other material would be welcome. Thanks again all..
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 05:22

The forum has a library of chemistry books which can be found here. Lots of the books are rather advanced, but if you see a certain compound that you are interested in preparing, there are a bunch of preparative manuals that may have synthesis details. Some that I would recommend for Inorganic Chemistry are Inorganic Laboratory Preparations by Gert Schlessinger, Handbook of Inorganic Preparative Chemistry by George Brauer and for organic chemistry, one of the better ones is Practical Organic Chemistry by Arthur Vogel.

In addition, for a general overview of chemistry I would get a general chemistry textbook designed for freshman college students, don't get the newest edition as it is more expensive and unnecessary since no major changes in basic chemistry have happened for a while;) A textbook one edition older can generally be had for around $10USD, I would recommend looking on Amazon.

Searching the forum by typing : "search terms + site:www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php" into google can yield a wealth of information, it is a 12 year old forum and many topics have already been discussed. If you have any questions, let us know.

Go To Top