Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preserving material stored under nitrogen?
permatryppin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 15:48
Preserving material stored under nitrogen?

Recieved a certain aromatic compound in a small aluminum keg, the contents stored under nitrogen, I've been keeping it in the box in a chest freezer until I need it. I think the cap just unscrews and I'm figuring it's probably best to wear heavier gloves to protect from the cold. Once opened though, is there any way to keep the nitrogen in or should I just stick the rest back in the freezer, try to use as quickly as possible and hope for the best?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 16:06

Do you have nitrogen on hand? Are you familiar with air-sensitive handling techniques? Needle transfers through a septum? Glove bags? There are plenty of options to keep it inerted. But does it even matter? Some compounds ship under N2 as a form of insurance, depending on what it is, it could be good for awhile.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 09:41

Any time someone is reluctant to name their organic compound, alarm bells start going off.

Also: rarely can we provide a good response to any question without knowing what the material is.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by permatryppin  
Recieved a certain aromatic compound

...benzene?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Any time someone is reluctant to name their organic compound, alarm bells start going off.

Also: rarely can we provide a good response to any question without knowing what the material is.
His name is also quite interesting.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 12:42

Quote:

His name is also quite interesting.

And he has not come back to look at thread since a few minutes after posting- At least not signed in under OP's account name.

More puppetry? Or did he just to open up that beer keg full of pyrophoric liquid and BBQ himself...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 13:41

Regardless of the substrate, the question was a good one.
It made me wonder the answer. Nothing, I am sure, that I cannot research myself, but still, he was not asking a normal cooks question.
Valid question, I just wish he could come up with some substrate that wouldn't offend.

[Edited on 24-3-2015 by morganbw]
permatryppin
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 16:15

Sorry I didn't check back right away, I didn't expect many replies so I just signed off for the night. The substrate is Floramelon, my apologies if it's a frowned upon material... this particular batch sent to me expires next month according to the COA, so I wanted to preserve it as well as possible because I'm not ready to work with it yet. I normally post on another board but thought that a general inquiry here might be better. Sorry for the offense, and thanks for the help.

[Edited on 3/25/2015 by permatryppin]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 16:33

Frankly, I had never heard of floramelon before- But I am not a perfumerer or MDA aficionado. Sorry if you didn't learn anything new- I did.

Easy High Yield MDA

[Edited on 25-3-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 18:20

Helional. That stuff smells beautiful.
permatryppin
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 18:34

It just sounds like it smells good, grass and ozone is what I've heard, but also like an underlying sweat odor too? Hehe funky :)

Go To Top