Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to separate silver sulfide
vibhudharshan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 23:38
How to separate silver sulfide

How to separate silver sulfide nano particle from silver-silver sulfide mixtures...???
bolbol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 02:38

According to wikipedia silver sulfide isnt soluble in "acids". So if you have nitric acid then try a small amount and after the reaction of silver is done check out to see if there is anything left. That would be your silver sulfide.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 03:30

sulfide - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfide
"Upon treatment with a standard acid, sulfide converts to hydrogen sulfide and a metal salt"

silver sulfide - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sulfide
"Silver sulfide is insoluble in all solvents, but is degraded by strong acids"

bolbol- Wiki did *not* say it(Ag2S) wasn't soluble in acids, they( acids) degrade the sulfide. it also stated Ag2S *isn't* soluble in solvents. adding acid, that would wreck the nano-particle's that may have been the target compound.. and let off a nice healthy *(cough, wheeze die ) cloud of hydrogen sulfide gas... not a good idea. more or less dangerous depending on actual amounts used, but just take it as dangerous if your not sure.

vibhudharshan - which brings me to another point, a little bit more info from OP would be nice. I understand this is in fundamentals, but that doesn't mean you couldn't tell us a little bit about the way it was made and how much of it you need to clean up.

personally I don't know off the top of my head, what you should do. but I can say, don't add a lot of sulfide salt to a bunch of acid ok! could you make the limiting reagent work in your favor? guess it really depends on how you did it. silver nitrate + sodium sulfide? or more complicated.
vibhudharshan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 00:10

sir,
Thank you for your replay .Actually,i supposed to make silver sulfide nanowires based upon a simple chemical synthesis.in this procedure i poured 12.5 ml of thiourea into 2 ml of 0.7% of ammonia solution ,25 ml of silver nitrate solution added into that stirring solution. Eventually i got Ag2S powder with little amount of native silver. i tried to remove silver from that mixture but i couldn't .
Can you please suggest a good procedure to synthesis Ag2S wires using same reagents?
vibhudharshan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 00:13

i downloaded the journal paper from 'sciencedirect"named as "Ag2S morphology controllable via simple template-free solution route"
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 18:13

Would simply treating (and storing away from light) the Ag2S/Ag mix with H2S remove your unwanted Ag?

The fact that we have nano size particles is probably a plus here in moving the reaction along.

My inspiration is the evident propensity of Silver to tarnish.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 20:26

@vibhudharshan : from the papers I read while trying to help a bit, silver sulfide nano-wires were made from sacrificial silver nano-wire templates. so is there a possibility you could continue to convert the silver? I haven't read the paper you mention, but I did search using the reactants you mentioned. this was probably the best match I saw with out knowing which paper you used.

I don't have access to the paper you mention and the abstract doesn't tell a whole lot. could you give a quick breakdown of the process you used?

Go To Top