Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium nitrate perhydrate
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 12:50
Calcium nitrate perhydrate

THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL, UNTRIED AND POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS IDEA, SO DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME!

Calcium nitrate crystallises with four crystal waters, making it a poor oxidant for energetics.

Salts containing crystal waters like sodium carbonate can be crystallised with hydrogen peroxide replacing the crystal water to form perhydrates, for example, the poorly named "sodium percarbonate" which is simply sodium carbonate perhydrate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

I was wondering, therefore, whether this could be done with calcium nitrate to form something like Ca(NO3)2.2H2O2?

I couldn't find anything by a cursory search for such a compound.

It should make an interesting oxidant, plus you get to 'upgrade' calcium nitrate AND concentrate H2O2, but I don't know if hydrogen peroxide would react with the nitrate in concentrated solutions when trying to prepare it? Perhaps one would need to use very cold solutions?

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 00:41

Not a clue if that's possible... But carbamide peroxide is. Get some anhydrous Calcium nitrate and dissolve it in high strength peroxide, crystallize (maybe your theorized substance) out?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide_-_urea

(Edit)
Works for Potassium, Sodium and ammonium nitrates...
http://www.google.com/patents/US20080190525

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 01:01

Interesting... nice patent, thanks Bert

The reason I thought of calcium nitrate is because it is a simple OTC nitrate that has a helluva lot of crystal waters, so could potentially hold a helluva lot of perhydrate... ok well two probably :D maybe three or four is one's really lucky.

It's available as the fertiliser CAN. CAN itself, not being a great oxidant... but this could be a way to remedy that. Nice to see from that patent that the ammonium nitrate can also form a perhydrate. So CAN looks very attractive as a substrate.

The thing is that peroxide interacts more strongly as a 'hydrate' than water itself AFAIK, so you should be able to crystallise these things out of reasonably conc. solutions fairly easily... don't think you need anhydrous conditions, but I might be mistaken of course, since this is all hypothetical.

??Dissolve the salt to saturation in 35% peroxide and stick it into a freezer overnight, then filter crystals while cold??

BTW, since this is an oxidant only, would it be legal to prepare it?

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org

Go To Top