Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A/B extraction of mesquite beans
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 17:24
A/B extraction of mesquite beans

Oh my, been a long time time since I did an a/b extraction--was time for a refresher. I've had these mesquite bean pods sitting around for a while so....

30July14 weighed my beans. Had 41gm.

Put them in a blender, then my 500ml RBF

Thinking about waxes, fats, etc I washed them with two separate 100ml portions of white gas (coleman)

Pressed the seedcake dry and extracted with a solution of 10ml 37% HCl and 90ml H2O

NEGLECTED to take a pic here--*facepalm*. Had a grayish solution. Dried most of way down in my evap dish

Made up 100ml of 10% NaOH solution and poured in my evap dish. Whoa! Turned red/orange, huge (seeming) drop out of oil.

Extracted the "oil" with 100ml coleman, then extracted THAT with 100ml 0f 10% HCl solution

The Dreaded Emulsion

I got squat for yield of some unknown gummy alkaloid, but hey, I don't do this stuff for fame and fortune LOL

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 22:51

In general, most alkaloids will be poorly soluble in naphtha. I would recommend that you get some dichloromethane, if possible, as it is the best general solvent for alkaloids. Failing that, diethyl ether, ethyl acetate, or even toluene would be better solvents to use than naphtha. If you extract alkaloids as their bases, rather than HCl salts, by omitting your final HCl extraction, you can separate them easily with thin layer or paper chromatography.
Having said that, I have no idea if mesquite beans even contain alkaloids.

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by forgottenpassword]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  

Having said that, I have no idea if mesquite beans even contain alkaloids.

me either---LOL. I just got done replacing an axle on my nephews car, he is supposed to get me a can of ethyl acetate (MEK substitute). I'm solvent "poor" and had naptha "laying around" in the garage.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 10:50

There are some interesting alkaloids in the leaves, apparently, as discussed on page 343 and onwards of the PDF from here:
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?cluster=6537338941741214...

halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 11:43

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/highchem.html

"protein"

And who knows what kinds of amino acids lurk in plants. People eat mesquite flour frequently, but I remember reading about McCandles: he died discovering the poisonous amino acid in a plant then described as edible! Lathyrism! Disturbingly, only poisonous - and yet irreversibly, by massive chronic ingestion. But they tested for alkaloids, qualifying "no, he died because he was a fool", but on looking again it was not the alkaloids but rather the amino acid.

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.

Go To Top