Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old medicines photos
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 00:36
Old medicines photos

Do you have any old medicines or reagent containers? Here are some from the 1920s to the 1940s. They come from a wooden doctor case estimated to be from the 1920s supplied by the Italian Red Cross. I don't have much info on the purpose/dosage of the medicines, if you have any info speak up :3

Bismuth subgallate Apparently a topic disinfectant, with no gallium in the formula.
Aspyrin "Aspirolina"
Ammonium hydrate (ammonia), it obviously vaporized.
Purgative taurine-based pills. Each capsule contains cg 10 of Oxen gall, cg 15 of Aloe, cg 8 Jalapa (Gialappa) resin, cg 8 Scammonia gum, I suppose scammonin active principle or jalapin.
"Casacara Sagrada" pills. I have no idea what these are. It just says to take "once, twice or even thrice with a sip of water before retiring to bed"
"Boldina Houdé" for hepatic insufficiency or liver diseases. No idea of what's the composition, 3 to 6 pills/day.
Boroglycerine. I have no idea what the formula and use is. It has a wonderful color tho.
Ferric Chloride
Spasmalgina Roché. I have no idea what it is. And how it was supposed to be opened. Each pill has 0.02 g Papaverin "Roché", 0.01g Pantopon "Roché", 0.001g Atrinal "Roché". Wondeful silvery pills. The back stamp says it is according to the Law N°396 of the 18th of February 1923.
Here and Here sterilized solutions in small vials, containing Canphor 2 vials (20cg canphor + 1cc almond oil), Sulfuric ether 1 vial (1cc ether), pure caffeine 1 vial (pure caffeine 25cg, sodium benzoate 30cg, distilled water 1cc) and "Ergotine Bonjean" 2 amber vials, ("Ergotina" 20cg, distilled water 1cc). Amazing.
"Dispert" Thyroid tabs by "N.V. Dispert Den Haag". Each tab contains 0.05g desiccated thyroid glands, 0.05g cacao pulvis (cocoa powder, i suppose), 0.05g saccharum (saccharose?). 1934.
Sulfuric ether. Anonymous. Empty. And the cork has been broken.
Pure acetone Here and Here.
"Sapoformol" Erba, I guess it's a bactericidal solution.
Vegetallumina. A thick white cream that contains (per 100g) 5g aluminium acetotartarate, 5g canphor, 2g methyl salicylate, 0.3g tyhme essence, 1g bergamot essence, 0.3g triethanolammine (?), eccipient. This is according to some law emitted on the 3rd August 1950.
"carta senapata", apparently paper soaked in mustard powder for topic disinfection. Says to wet it and hold onto the skin until unbearable. Not gonna try that.
Small handbook on first aid. Contains the list of the original medicines in the case and general info on first aid, including poisonings and transportation of the patient.
Taffetà vegeto-animale, a supposedly sticky adhesive, probably fish glue.
Small Ad by Lepetit with list of preparations and again, poisoning first aid.
"Mugòlio inalante", pine extract, like Vicks VapoRub stuff. According to the Law N°129 of the 9th of June 1951. 100g contain 50g Pinus Pumilio essential oil, 50g alcoholic solution of potassic oleate (?).
Last, some glass, including a bottle of Lourdes water (lol!), syringe nails, cotton wool, a small brush and a drop-brush thing.

Here are all the pieces together.

Have anything to share? I hope you enjoyed the pictures, I have many other bottles to take pics of.

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by valeg96]

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 01:03

I would like to see such photos but the links do not work.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 01:06

This is actually upsetting, I can never link to dropbox properly. Let me retry :(

Edit: now they work.

Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 20:42

If any of you are interested, I have also found several old chemicals;
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=30167

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 22:23

That is great, too bad there aren't many abandoned places here... Or at least until the 80s
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 08:17

Yeah, the only abandoned place I've found was an old house at my grandfather's farm and it was last lived in in 1993, going by the calendar there, so there's nothing interesting there. There are also a couple old wells on the property though that look to be approximately 100 years old (I put a picture of one in the thread that Pinkhippo linked). I'm hoping that there might be some old stuff down there, from when they filled in the wells with dirt. Probably no chemicals, but at least some cool antique bottles that I can repurpose!
I've dug down about 8-10 feet in the one well, and most of the stuff that's down there is from the 70s. There's still a good chance that there's old stuff underneath though, so I'm keeping my hopes up about it.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 09:22

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6106

There's already a thread on this.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...

Go To Top