Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Soda-acid fire extinguisher
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 08:17
Soda-acid fire extinguisher

There is a perforated metal plate welded in the neck of this fire extinguisher which I can't see under and was wondering if there was anything else in there.
The glass bottle says "FILL TO LINE" and at the bottom "Duraglas" There was a heavy lead stopper I forgot to photograph that was in the top of the bottle when I went to open the tank and wash it out. It was rather corroded on the outside but Barkeepers Friend containing oxalic acid got most of the surface rust off. There were a lot of salt crystals in the bottom of the tank too but the stainless steel still shiny inside.
I bought it for 6 dollar and wanted to use it for some combustion experiments. The underside of the lid has quite a bit of coppery looking salt corrosion.
The outside of the tank has a little zinc galvanized elbow that doesn't want to come out.
I'm not going to use the lid it came with. Maybe I could use it for something else as well.

I found one that kind of looks like mine but in better condition.
http://www.poohbang.com/2010/12/vintage-1961-general-soda-ac...

005.JPG - 127kB 008.JPG - 148kB 018.JPG - 143kB

[Edited on 15-6-2014 by Morgan]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 08:29

my older brother used to use these for catalytic hydrogenation. Back then we still thought it was "nascent" hydrogen that did the work.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Go To Top