Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper oleate: Syth and Properties
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 21:02
Copper oleate: Syth and Properties

SO...

I am very near completing my copper salts collection and I am at the last few that I want to make.

Copper oleate seems like an avoided salt in that I found it difficult to find much information property-wise, other than its used as a pesticide/insecticide.

I found this:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

"The Cu–oleate complex was prepared by reacting CuCl2 and sodium oleate. In a typical synthesis of Cu–oleate complex, CuCl2∙2H2O (40 mmol) and sodium oleate (80mmol) was dissolved in a mixture solvent composed of 80 ml ethanol, 60 ml distilled water and 140 ml hexane. The resulting solution was heated to 70 °C and kept at that temperature for four hours. When the reaction was completed, the upper organic layer containing the Cu–oleate complex was washed three times with 30 ml distilled water in a separatory funnel. After washing, hexane was evaporated off, resulting in Cu–oleate complex in a waxy solid form..."

But this is a rather complex reaction -- which I can do, just wondering if there is an easier way. Also instead of ethanol can I use methanol? And instead of hexane can I use heptane?

Why can't I simply add oleic acid to freshly made copper hydroxide, is it because oleic acid is such a weak acid?

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by numos]

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 05:58

You can get a crude copper oleate preparation by dissolving copper sulphate in water and adding to to a solution of sodium oleate.
The blueish greenish copper oleate precipitates as a greasy mess and can be filtered off and dried.

You can't easily react copper hydroxide with oleic acid because the reaction only happens at the surface of the copper hydroxide particles. The copper oleate coates the hydroxide and stops the reaction.

On the other hand, I'm sure that reaction scheme would work if you used methanol and heptane.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 07:15

Couldn't you make it form copper sulfate and oleic acid? Just guessing here.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 07:47

Steam, that would be lovely but unlikely, because what would happen to the sulfate ion? I'm going to try CuSo4 and sodium oleate, am I correct in assuming sodium oleate can be made with NaOH and oleic acid?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 07:53

UTFSE: Sr, Mg, and Transition Metal Soaps!

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 08:00

Quote: Originally posted by numos  
Steam, that would be lovely but unlikely, because what would happen to the sulfate ion?

Well if the reaction worked, I think it would combine with the hydrogen in oleic acid to make sulfuric acid. Of course that doesn't mean that the reaction will happen, the reveres might happen though.;)

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 08:05

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Steam, that would be lovely but unlikely, because what would happen to the sulfate ion?

Well if the reaction worked, I think it would combine with the hydrogen in oleic acid to make sulfuric acid. Of course that doesn't mean that the reaction will happen, the reveres might happen though.;)

And sulphuric acid would ruin the product.

If you reacted copper(II) acetate with oleic acid, that would be more likely to work.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 10:50

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
UTFSE: Sr, Mg, and Transition Metal Soaps!

I saw this thread, and made copper stearate already, is the procedure for oleate the same? They are both fatty compounds so it might be possible. However as the compound copper oleate didn't provide search results in forum, I wanted to have a clarification.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 11:44

I saw this thread, and made copper stearate already, is the procedure for oleate the same? They are both fatty compounds so it might be possible.

They are remarkably similar: both C18, one with a cis-9 unsaturation. I don't see why what works for the stearate would not work for the oleate.

numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 19:20

So I finally got around doing this, and I got some interesting results. I went with the copper acetate/oleic acid approach, as suggested by DraconicAcid.

So my first surprise is Copper oleate is an oil? As soon as the oleic acid hit the solution of Copper acetate I noticed a dark blue layer appear between them. I started to stir the mixture, and did so for the next 10 min.

1.jpg - 116kB

After the stirring there was a thick layer of deep teal colored liquid, behaved almost exactly like oil.

2.jpg - 89kB

Then through the separatory funnel (guess how much fun that was to clean). Notice how the bottom layer is a very light blue, indicating that the Copper acetate did indeed react away.

3.jpg - 69kB

I was left with a liquid that smelled like oleic acid and was a beautiful deep teal.

4.jpg - 28kB

Notes:
Copper acetate solution: 0.4g Cu(CH3COO)2 in 20ml of water
Oleic acid: 1.5ml; Purified at <98%

Yield ~1ml

I know it's not stoichiometric, I just wanted to see if it works...

For all you Copper fans, this is definitely worth trying just to have done it once. Cleanup is hell, although acetone makes short work of it (Physical scrubbing still required)

Edit: changed color from aqua and turquoise to teal

[Edited on 6-3-2014 by numos]

Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 13:09

That is magnificent! I will try to prepare this at home this month... I'm running short of copper lately but I'll buy some sulphate as soon as possible. Are you sure that it isn't just a copper compound in suspension in oleic acid?

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
Are you sure that it isn't just a copper compound in suspension in oleic acid?

I went back to check on the vial, and the mass had solidified. It's kind of a very thick paste, you may be right. Although the color is still incredible.

Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:08

Well, it should be a colloid with very small particles anyway. Try to flocculate it with FeSO4 solution to see if it is indeed a suspension.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:57

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
Well, it should be a colloid with very small particles anyway. Try to flocculate it with FeSO4 solution to see if it is indeed a suspension.
If you have it, Alumium sulfate wworks even better for flocculating. You're sure this is no complex?

Go To Top