Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvent miscibility of 3 different solvents, 2 miscible, one not?
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 10:53
Solvent miscibility of 3 different solvents, 2 miscible, one not?

Sorry for the vague title. I haven't been able to find a good answer for this question so I figured I would ask here.

In a system with 3 solvents:

Water - Miscible with methanol
Methanol - Miscible with water
Oil - Only miscible with methanol.

If these three are mixed together in equal volume quantities, what will the phase separation outcome be? Will there be two separate phases? Or will the oil be mixed in with the water/methanol? If so, does the oil itself only interact with the methanol, and rarely actually contact the water?

How would this all play in with solvent caging, on a molecule level?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 10:56

It depends. In this case, I would expect there to be two phases- one will be a mixture of water, methanol and a small amount of oil; the other will be oil, methanol, and some water. If your third solvent was something less hydrophobic, such as ether or butanol, you'd probably get a one-phase mixture.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 11:01

So for the sake of molecular interactions, is it a safe assumption that there will always be a greater amount of methanol coming into contact with water than the oil? In other words, does a methanol cage form around the oil preventing it from contacting the water?

Is there some sort of general rule for how much methanol might be in each layer, seeing as methanol is entirely miscible with both of them?

Go To Top