Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Too Much Closed Mind Behavior
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 14:47

Now THAT was a VERY nice thing to do for the forum!

Thanks-

(Edit)
Downloaded it to my iPhone, away from the office for a week. No problems, hopefully no malware...

May go blind reading it that way, but what the heck-

[Edited on 21-4-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 14:52

Hyfalcon, Thank you very much for the link. Isn't the book copyrighted or anything? It costs around one hundread bucks in the link I found.

Bert, What are you talking about, exactly? If it is about Hyfalcon awsome link, I totally agree.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 15:04

Thank the Russian's I guess. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to download it. Guess I'll have to look into a proxy.
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 15:15

Well, thank you Mother Russia. Does your country block you from downloading it?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 15:59

Not only is the book copyrighted, but it was actually penned by a member of this forum, Len1 who has not been active in some time but was a great resource when he was around. And yes, it's expensive, as an author myself of technical manuals, the audience is very small and hence the number of books sold is small as well. Prices are jacked up so you can make <i>something</i> reasonable but in the end with all the work you put into it you might only end up making $2 an hour or so ;)

Personally I won't take part in downloading the book since it is the spawn of one of our own. Though I may purchase it someday if I can wriggle a signature from the author.

On the subject of closed minded behavior, it's not so much that as you have not proven yourself yet. Yes, everyone is welcome to post to this forum but there is a degree of respect that must be earned by giving consistently good posts over time. Everyone here is judged by the body of their work and for the moment your body of work is small and new. But there are a number of members that have stuck with this forum for years myself included who started off asking naive questions and getting scolded by moderators.

Take your time, earn your stripes, and respect will follow. Until that point, back up your posts with research and post references. The burden of proof lies with you to show you're putting the effort fourth.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 16:21

May I get a list of your publications, bromic?

BTW, I got a copy of len's book.

I never asked for this.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 17:05

HgDinis25, your mind seems to be closed to the idea that this forum existed before you joined and probably everything has come up too many times already. Don't expect the members to be an answer monkey for new kids. If you would UTFSE, you'd find that azide production and len1's book are not news, and they have been discussed at length.

The greatest book ever written is an amazing new discovery? Most downloads of it came years ago. He sold the book to the publisher and gets nothing further from it, it's all there in the past.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 17:11

I cant download it either, my computer keeps saying there's a virus.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 17:24

For me yes, it is a new discovery (I didn't found out about the book here, I just found that you could download it for free). I don't expect no one to be an answer monkey. Please just go read the threads we're talking about because you obviously didn't read them. You missed the point where a member is jumped, just because he didn't assume that something that usually happens would happen in a certain situation. Please, actually read the entire thing or don't comment on matter you don't fully understand.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 21:16

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
I cant download it either, my computer keeps saying there's a virus.

My computer says the same thing, but McAfee just deletes what ever my computer thought was dangerous. I wouldn't worry about it if you are confident I you security soft ware.

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
Please, actually read the entire thing or don't comment on matter you don't fully understand.

Please stop telling us we 'don't understand'. We do, we've been here many times before.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 06:01

Blogfast, if you did, then you should be noticing a member jumping on another member because he didn't want to take something for granted (I'm talking about the last thread abouy azides and the ethanol issue).
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 07:08

Etaoin Shrdlu, hehe Snarky, pretty much me. I think you're the first person to actually see the problem here. You completrly understood me.

I don't think this thread has become anything close to what the title leads to believe. Is this about close minded behavior or a whining zone about one new member's inability to follow the normal forum decorum?
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 08:06

Exactly what I'm thinking. You have to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out!

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 11:28

HgDinis, you appear to have the extreme sensitivities of a prepubescent girl and the aspirations of a crack-addled unabomber . . .

And the two don't seem to sit together very well!

Why don't you try to man up or boy up, or whatfuckingever?

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 11:55

hissingnoise, Seriously I don't even know how to answer propely to you. That's too much unfounded insults for me to try to reason with you.

Mailinmypocket, actually the goal of the thread was mainly to report hissingnoise behavior on a reaction mechanisms thread. In the post you quoted, Etaoin Shrdlu pretty much states the main problem. Re-posting the link:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=30177

Zyklonb, fully agree with your metaphor. That's the reason we generally don't accept people trying to sell us chemical free prodcuts.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 14:16

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Please, actually read the entire thing or don't comment on matter you don't fully understand.

Please stop telling us we 'don't understand'. We do, we've been here many times before.

Shaking my head. All emphasis in following quotes is mine.

Can this reaction work to produce Sodium Azide, if the KOH is substituted by NaOH? I ask this because I don't know the reaction mechanisms nor what's happening. Can someone share some information about the mechanisms?

I want to understand the reaction mechanisms, and the multiple reactions happening. That way, I can acess if Sodium Azide can also be produced, by using NaOH instead of KOH.

I'll try to give more details about where I'm stuck.

I know that IPN reacts with Hydrazine Hydrate, Potassium Hydroxide and Ethanol, yelding IPA, Potassium Azide and water. Now, is the KOH there to react with any HN3 produced to form the KN3 or does the potassium ion plays an important role in the reaction?

Responses:
Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

OK, don't take this the wrong way, but if your understanding of inorganics is so lacking, you probably shouldn't attempt any but the simplest procedures until you, at least, get a feeling of how they proceed?

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
As for your question on KOH vs NaOH, hissingnoise was on you because most chemists lean early on that the two are pretty much interchangeable, being that they are strong bases and dissociate 'fully' in water. There are a few compounds stabilized more by the larger potassium cation but for the most part you can swap the two with impunity.

1. Yes, HgDinis was touchy, abrasive, and acting superior throughout most of the thread.

2. The lack of theoretical knowledge, the need for extreme caution, a mention of the existing literature reference, a recommendation not to be foolhardy, all relevant. But getting on someone's case because they didn't assume without asking that NaOH and KOH could be swapped out is not an appropriate response to a question about *profanity-of-choice*ing azide production.
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 14:24

Etaoin Shrdlu, I take responsability for your topic 1. I was aready caustic because of the first topic I made. Like I said, that's the closed mind aspect: something that generaly happens don't always happens. And assuming that it always happens is not thinking outside the box. Like I stated, though, the book really helped and I got to understand the mechanisms proving, for instance, that hissingnoise on assuming that ethanol was present because of end product solubility (something that generally happens but doesn't in this specific case).
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top