Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Removing Iron contamination from Sulphuric acid
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 09:48

:
Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
You might want to consider passing your solution through a column filled with beads of the protonated form of a strongly acidic ion exchange resin to remove iron impurities

However, simplicity and economics probably dictate you to simply dispose of the material safely and buy more as the acid is so cheap :)

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by deltaH]

Hallo, yes well after careful deliberation and much planning I decided to opt for your second suggestion:)

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 10:38

yeah... hard choice ;) "money talks, bullshit walks"

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 17:51

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

I find this suspicious, because the acidity of the solution will prevent complete ionization of the oxalic acid. I haven't tried that specific reaction, but I do remember doing a lab in which we used sulphuric acid of various concentrations to destroy an iron(III) oxalate complex. The dilute sulphuric acid protonated off the oxalate; the concentrated sulphuric acid decomposed the oxalate to give CO2, CO, and water.

Per an old thread on the preparation of H2SO4 from the action of Oxalic acid on a sulfate (see https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=18... ), it was indeed observed in an attempt to prepare very concentrated Sulfuric acid that a sudden violent ejection of the H2SO4 was observed. This confirms that high strength H2SO4 does indeed decompose H2C2O4 in apparently an unsafe manner.

The general recommendation from that thread is that it is safest to prepare mineral acids using Oxalic acid by targetting only dilute to moderate concentrations.

[Edited on 13-4-2014 by AJKOER]
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 00:31

AJkoer, hallo, yes I read this old thread two days ago, this is where I got the general impression that a dilute solution would work. Have yet to experiment, tied up with two other things at the moment. But i will try The oxalic acid method soon and let people know about the results.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 04:43

Added oxalic acid to 10mLs H2SO4 in 50mLs water. No precipitate. Does nothing, as has been suggested.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top