Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Access to References & Whimsy
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 12:59
Access to References & Whimsy

Since when are newcomers without reputation given access to Whimsy? I think there should be at least a month long wait before they're allowed to spam this forum. (No offense to you, HeYBrO.)

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 11:38

When I had asked polverone for access maybe a year and a half ago I remember him saying generally a member needs 100+ posts of normal quality before being granted access.

I'm not 100% sure if that is exactly what he told me, but it was something along those lines- I would need to check back in U2Us' to know for sure.

Either way, references and whimsy are some of the best sub forums I have ever read and it would make me sad to see spam about kitchen counters, Louis Vuitton purses and other related shit make its way into them.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 13:19
Saddened

Agreed. I hope access to References isn't being given out as freely. It took me 18 months and 251 (mostly) quality posts to get access! [edit] Unlike many of those from the users being granted access now, I'd like to think that <a href="viewthread.php?tid=9889#pid117040">my first posts</a> were genuinely helpful and content-rich&mdash;and not simply copy-paste search engine results! I hope I don't sound like a grumpy old man or an elitist, but this is a little disheartening to see. I firmly believe that access should be <em>earned</em> through worthwhile contribution.

[edit] Allow me to reiterate; I mean no offense, HeYBrO. You've made a promising start, aside from your post in this topic. Welcome to ScienceMadness, and keep up the good work!

[Edited on 22.12.13 by bfesser]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 13:43

Personally, I never got around to asking until pretty recently. As for spam, I don't think moderators would give out access at the first post, so I think References and Whimsy are fairly safe from that.
Whimsy might be off-limits to all but respected users, but I think References should be a little less picky - what better way to educate the newbies than by giving them access to a treasure trove of information?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 13:51

Whimsy is, by definition, whimsical. I see no reason to guard it as strictly as References. However, it would be a shame if References were overrun by newbies asking for papers which had already been posted or not following established posting and literature request etiquette.

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 13:58

Should this be a poll? (although it should ultimately be decided by polverone, the mods, and the admins)

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
22-12-2013 at 14:18
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 17:51

Hmmm, I sent polverone a U2U about 10 days ago, but he hasn't even read it yet. Is there anyone else that can make that decision? I guess I could email him.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 17:56

Typically this stuff takes a while - best advice is to be patient.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-2-2014 at 00:00

People can also ask me if they want access to these forums.

I personally do not really look precisely at the 1 month period, for me this is a guideline, not an absolute criterion. I look at the posting history of people. I give people access if they have a decent posting history (no post whoring). I expect no gems, but normal forum etiquette and a constructive attitude.

[Edited on 21-2-14 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2014 at 06:24

" I hope access to References isn't being given out as freely. It took me 18 months and 251 (mostly) quality posts to get access! "

Polverone has the unique ability to smell trouble makers through the side of his computer! :):(:D;):cool::mad::o:P
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 22:02

I think the text on Whimsy and References should read, "Access must be requested of Polverone or woelen." I would have asked woelen for access to Whimsy instead because he's on more often. And I'm sure Polverone is inundated with these requests.

Considering that vulture is an admin, I'm guessing he can also give access as well.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...

Go To Top