Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyrex Vista
MichiganMadScientist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2013 at 09:20
Pyrex Vista

Hello my fellow Chemists:

1) After following many conversations on this board, I decided to join in and begin participating. You guys really have a nice community here.

2) My Question: I recently chanced upon a large cache of assorted (brand new) pyrex vista basic lab glassware. I am a glass-snob, and am generally particularily fond of Pyrex and Kimax.

But what is this "Pyrex Vista?" My web searches only found this:
Quote:
PYREX VISTA, our newest line of reusable glassware represents an economical option for the customer who is willing to forgo the premium benefits of PYREX® products.

Does anyone here know anything about what this means? Is Pyrex Vista Basically an inferior form of Pyrex? Any help here would be appreciated. :)
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-7-2013 at 16:05

Welcome to ScienceMadness! :)

Vista is just budget Pyrex. They just don't overcharge as much as they normally do for the same glassware, and use colorful print on it to fool people. Basically, they use slightly thinner walls to reduce production cost, and arrogantly claim that it's still superior to other manufacturers glass (based solely on weight). There's nothing wrong with it, I've used some in the past and had no issue.
Quote:
PYREX VISTA glassware offers superior quality. [<em>Lies!</em>] In a weight comparison study on certified equipment, PYREX VISTA glassware was 13 to 15% weight heavier than Kimble and VWR brands. [<em>"Weight heavier?" More likely to shatter when dropped due to greater inertia.</em>]
Typical marketing hooey.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2013 at 18:28

Yes, it is fine stuff., same glass as Pyrex items They don't mark the graduations as well, and they use cheaper packaging. But I have had some and I can't tell the difference. Just like I have used VWR brand beakers and erlenmeyers, and they work just fine. I think VISTA is mostly beakers and simple flasks.

Go To Top